Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

OFF FERRY TOLL ROAD TO SOUTH ROSYTH CASTLE, DOVECOTLB26061

Status: Removed

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
12/01/1971
Date Removed:
12/07/2016
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Burgh
Dunfermline
NGR
NT 11023 82233
Coordinates
311023, 682233

Removal Reason

Dual designation

Description

16th century. Square-plan dovecot with crowstepped gables to N and S sides and skewputts carved with human heads (one at each angle of building). Coursed sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings. Rat ledge below eaves. Entrance to centre of N elevation; roll-moulded surround; scrolled label (former inscription eroded) to lintel; dripstone above; iron yett to opening. Lower section of S elevation projects slightly; empty panel surround centred over it; narrow stone ledge projects from rat ledge above. Stone flagged roof. Gableted crowsteps. Barrel-vaulted interior; nexting boxes intact. No apparent entrance holes.

Statement of Special Interest

A scheduled monument. It was formerly separated from Rosyth Castle, to which it belonged, by a short stretch of water (the castle was originally situated on a small island, until the land was reclaimed during the construction of the nearby naval dockyard in the early 20th century). In 1428 the barony of Rosyth was granted to Sir David Stewart. The castle was built in the late 15th century and altered and expanded in the 16th and 17th centuries. The castle and estate remained in the possession of the Stewart family until the late 17th century. See separate list description for Rosyth Castle.

References

Bibliography

David MacGibbon and Thomas Ross, THE CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND VOLUME I (1971 facsimilie of 1887 book) p293-95; RCAHMS, INVENTORY OF MONUMENTS AND CONSTRUCTIONS IN THE COUNTIES OF FIFE, KINROSS AND CLACKMANNAN (1933); John Gifford, FIFE in the 'Buildings of Scotland' series (1988) p356.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to OFF FERRY TOLL ROAD TO SOUTH ROSYTH CASTLE, DOVECOT

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/09/2019 20:17