Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

6-8 (EVEN NOS) PILMUIR STREET, FORMER WOMEN'S INSTITUTELB26038

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
19/12/1979
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Burgh
Dunfermline
NGR
NT 9167 87612
Coordinates
309167, 687612

Description

Archibald Welsh, 1911-12. 2-storey and attic; 7-bay; rectangular-plan former women's institute. Renaissance design with pedimented windows, dentilled eaves cornice and mullioned and transomed windows to principal (W) elevation. Lightly droved polished sandstone ashlar principal elevation and part of S elevation; stugged snecked sandstone elsewhere; lightly droved dressings. Base course, band course above ground floor windows and dentilled eaves cornice with scrolled brackets to principal elevation (and part of S elevation); moulded cornice (partially adjoining 1st floor cills) and eaves cornice throughout. Chamfered reveals to openings.

W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: round-arched entrance to 2nd bay from right; deep splayed reveal decorated with fruit and animal motifs and outer moulding to arch; 2-leaf panelled timber door with replacement fanlight. Flanking 2-light mullioned windows; each set within recessed panel adjoining apron of 2-light window above; 2-light window recessed in panel with apron adjoining entrance; flanking vertical band courses adjoin entrance architrave and rise to meet cornice at 1st floor cill level; panel (formerly bearing name of institute) with pendant garland to either side set within frieze below cornice; swagged flanking panels. Pedimented window with outer architrave above; date (1912) intertwined to cartouche at centre of pediment; flanking finials to pediment and foliage and scrolls at base of window. Flanking windows with cornices surmounted by monogrammed cartouches set against strapwork. 3 pedimented dormer windows above; each with flanking finials and one at apex of pediment. 4 large windows to left of ground floor; all 9-light with mullions and transoms except for that to outer left, bottom 3 of which now occupied by later 20th century inserted entrance. 4-light mullion and transom to each bay above; 4 piended rectangular dormers to attic.

S ELEVATION: stepped down slightly in 2 stages to right. Central entrance with late 20th century pedimented timber architrave and panelled door. 2 levels of blocked 2-light mullioned windows and single lights to left; irregular fenestration here and above. Double entrance (altered and one opening blocked) to right. Flanking single light windows to 2 levels; 2-light mullion above. 3 larger 2-light windows to 1st floor.

E ELEVATION: regularly fenestrated 5 bays to centre; large ground floor window to each bay; large rectangular piended 2-light breaking eaves dormer (eaves cornice as transom) above. Slightly taller outer bays; each chamfered at outer edge and at upper inner edge; 2-light transom window to 1st floor; large ground floor window to outer right; small window at lower level to outer left.

N ELEVATION: adjoins Nos 10-14 Pilmuir Street along street. Visible upper sections blank. Inner recess/light well visible to right of centre.

Multi-pane casements and sashes to upper floors; mostly leaded fixed lights (some incorporating Art Nouveau motifs) to ground floor to principal elevation. Grey slate roof, partially piended to rear. Gablehead stacks to N and S; ridge stack in between; semi-wallhead stack to S; all coped with band courses; round cans. 3 original cast-iron drainpipes with bulbous rainwater heads to principal elevation.

INTERIOR: ground floor substantially altered.

Statement of Special Interest

Built by the Carnegie Dunfermline Trust to provide a meeting place for young women. It later became a youth centre and is currently (1999) privately owned and in use as an amusement hall and club.

References

Bibliography

PLANS and ELEVATIONS, Folder No 1278, Dean of Guilds Records, Dunfermline Council; John Gifford, FIFE, in the 'Buildings of England' series (1988) p192; Bert McEwan, DUNFERMLINE - OUR HERITAGE (1998) pp122-24.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 6-8 (EVEN NOS) PILMUIR STREET, FORMER WOMEN'S INSTITUTE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 07/12/2019 22:38