Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

42-44 (EVEN NOS) QUEEN ANNE STREET, HEAD POST OFFICE, INCLUDING FORMER STABLE YARD AND BOUNDARY WALLLB26034

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
29/02/1988
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Burgh
Dunfermline
NGR
NT 9134 87553
Coordinates
309134, 687553

Description

W W Robertson (of Her Majesty's Office of Works), 1889-90; extended to N 1902, also by Robertson. 2-storey; 5-bay; rectangular-plan section orientated N/S along Pilmuir Street; single storey, 6-bay, rectangular-plan section extending to W fronting onto Queen Anne St; single storey U-shaped stable block built around courtyard added to N as part of extensions. Scottish Renaissance post office with crowstepped gables to 2-storey section and pedimented windows; angled bay at corner of Pilmuir Street and Queen Anne Street. Coursed stugged snecked sandstone with polished sandstone ashlar dressings; brick stable buildings with sandstone ashlar dressings. Base course; pair of moulded band courses; one above ground floor windows; one at cill level above; to street (E and S) elevations of 2-storey block; base course, moulded band course across window lintels to street (S) elevation of single storey section; cornice to parapet above. Architraved windows with chamfered reveals to street elevations of 2-storey block; mainly with chamfered mullions and transoms; those to 1st floor pedimented. Aediculed windows to Queen Anne Street elevation of single storey section; flattened flanking brackets to pediment and bracketed projecting cills. Coped gables.

E (PILMUIR STREET) ELEVATION: entrance to angled bay to outer left. Flanking pilasters (stars and flowers to capitals) on pedestals support plain entablature surmounted by open-topped pediment with urn on pedestal (dated 1889) at centre; 2-leaf boarded timber door with border-glazed rectangular fanlight. Heraldic panel above inscribed 'Dieu et Mon Droit'. Balustraded parapet to eaves. 4-light mullion and transom window to each floor to right; both linked by 3 flattened brackets to cornice above; upper one with pilastered and panelled apron and breaking-eaves pediment ornamented with strapwork and with moulded (Jacobean style?) finial; balustraded parapet to either side. 2 slightly projecting bays surmounted by crowstepped gable with blind panel at apex to right. 4-light mullion and transom window to left of ground floor linked by 3 flattened brackets to cornice above and with bracketed cill; 2-light transom window to right. Pair of 2-light transom windows above; both with cornices with flattened flanking brackets and segmental pediments scrolled at centre. Slightly projecting bay to outer right surmounted by crowstepped gable with urn-like finial and with blind arrowslit at apex. 6-light mullion and transom window to each floor; both linked by 4 flattened brackets to cornice above; upper one with pilastered and panelled apron and double pediment; lower pediment scrolled with open top and broken base (sunflower panel at centre); upper pediment bracketed and with floral decoration. Entrance to former stable yard to right. Coped coursed stugged snecked sandstone wall to right with blocked entrance and window; both with pediments taken from earlier school building formerly on site; that to left inscribed 'SEP.DOCE.ET.CASTIGA.UT.VIVAT.PUER.'. 3 carved panels, also from school, in between; one bearing Burgh coat of arms; the others inscribed 'FAVE.MIHI.MI.DEUS.1625.' and'RECONDITUM.1816.D.WILSON.PREFECTO'.

S (QUEEN ANNE STREET) ELEVATION: entrance with deep ashlar surround with outer architrave to entrance to outer left of single storey section; earlier to mid 20th century 2-leaf panelled timber door set back within small vestibule; rectangular fanlight to vestibule. Aediculed window to 5 bays to right. Slightly projecting 2-storey bay to right; crowstepped gable with arrowslit at apex and urn finial. 6-light mullion and transom window to each floor; both linked by 4 flattened brackets to cornice above; upper one with pilastered and panelled apron and double pediment; lower pediment scrolled with open top and broken base (sunflower panel at centre); upper pediment bracketed and with floral decoration. Angled bay (see E Elevation) to right.

W ELEVATION: irregular fenestration to right, including to 3 gable ends (that to left part of extensions) to single-storey section to outer right. Blank coped wall to left.

N ELEVATION: blank coped wall.

STABLE YARD: N elevation of 2-storey block to S. U-shaped stable range adjoins to right. Irregular fenestration with entrances to N, S and W.

INTERIOR: ground floor of post office completely modernised.

Mainly timber top-hung casements and 8-pane sash and case windows. Grey slate roofs. Gablehead stacks to E and W of 2-storey section and one to W of single storey section; shouldered wallhead stack to N of 2-storey section; all with band courses and moulded cornices; cans missing.

Statement of Special Interest

A well-constructed and finely-detailed building. Some notable. Some notable inscribed stones from the grammar school of 1625 that formerly stood on the site have been incorporated in the boundary wall.

References

Bibliography

John Gifford, FIFE, in the 'Buildings of Scotland' series (1988) p190; Bert McEwan, DUNFERMLINE - OUR HERITAGE (1998) pp128-29.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 42-44 (EVEN NOS) QUEEN ANNE STREET, HEAD POST OFFICE, INCLUDING FORMER STABLE YARD AND BOUNDARY WALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 07/12/2019 22:23