Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NO 45768 31002
345768, 731002


Thomas Saunders Robertson, 1871 (nave, tower and transepts); vestry at SE 1874; E and W galleries 1875; N gallery enlarged circa 1877; chancel and organ chamber 1880. Cruciform-plan, aisled Gothic style church, tower with spire at NE. Multi-coloured snecked masonry, buff long and short margined dressings, grey slates with green fishscale bands. Windows mainly trefoil-headed, single, paired and stepped, some hoodmoulds with foliate label stops; string course at gallery level, chamfered eaves course, cast-iron rhones with triangular indent pattern, skews with gablet skewputts and some kneelers.

N ELEVATION: 3-bay central porch with moulded Gothic arch and hoodmould, on nook shafts; corner buttresses, stepped copes, sculpted oculus, plume finial, paired Gothic arched doors to narthex. Flanking windows and buttresses, large window at gallery level with geometric tracery and cusped light at roof space, both with continuous hoodmoulds; cross finial. Bay at right with paired lights and angle buttresses. 4-stage tower at left, single and paired lights, angle buttresses, square broached to octagonal at 3rd stage, louvres belfry openings with nook shafts and continuous hoodmould, corbel table and spire with dormers.

E ELEVATION: vestry, transept, aisle and tower abutting chancel and nave; single storey vestry with platform roof at left; transept gable with angle buttresses, stepped lancets, rose window at gallery, paired dormers at S; 2-bay aisle with buttrtesses, paired lights at ground and gallery levels, moulded shoulder-arched door with gablet hood at right; trefoil, and lancet windows to tower.

W ELEVATION: similar to E but with Gothic arched door and pyramidal roofed organ chamber at right.

S ELEVATION: plain, with stepped traceried lancets to chancel, door to vestry.

INTERIOR: narthex; galleried nave with moulded Gothic arches on round columns with finely sculpted foliate capitals; panelled galleries to N, E and W on cast-iron columns (1875-77); boarded collar braced roof, supported from moulded corbels, fret work infill over aisle tie-beams. Timber pulpit and communion table under crossing, organ case at right and left (organ and replaced by electronic instrument in N gallery, 1969). War memorials on N and W walls. Windows: all designed by Burne-Jones and manufactured by Morris and Co, 1893-1915, the majority gifted by J J Watson of Ballinard.

ENCLOSING WALL, GATEPIERS AND DIES: low wall with metal railings, 6 pyramidal capped gatepiers, 3 dies.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Congregation established 1869, T S Robertson the architect a founder member; Robertson also probably designed the church hall in 1894 (burnt out 1943, rebuilt 1951). Burne-Jones/Morris windows are an outstanding feature of this church, and a major factor for its A listing.



Dr John Cameron, ST STEPHEN's 1975-1975, (1975); J Malcolm, PARISH OF MONIFIETH, (1910), pp 110-111.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to WEST FERRY, 96 DUNDEE ROAD, ST STEPHEN'S AND WEST CHURCH, INCLUDING ENCLOSING WALL, GATEPIERS AND DIES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/05/2019 17:25