John Taylor and James Leslie 1842-3, extended by C and L Ower 1884.
Greek Revival Ionic customs house, 3-storey ashlar-built with channelled ground floor, architraved windows over, corniced at 1st. Coursed rubble rear. Full entablature with dentil cornice to 3 sides,
simple main cornice to rear.
ELEVATION TO DOCK STREET: 13-bay, centre 3 project with tetrastyle Greek Ionic portico over arcaded and wreathed ground floor. Central Custom House door with royal arms in typanum. Royal arms in main pediment (recarved by Graciella Ainsworth, 1992). Advanced arched entrances at 3rd and 11th bays, scroll-supported 1st floor consoled and pedimented windows over with balustraded aprons.
W ELEVATION: 3-bay with similar arched entrance and scroll-supported window over. Segmental arched coach-house entrance to right with balustraded parapet.
E ELEVATION: extended for Harbour Board by C and L Ower 1884 from 3 to 5 bays, consoled and pedimented windows at 2nd and 4th bays of 1st floor. Ground floor arched entrance moved to single-storey 4-bay wing, not channelled, with parapet.
REAR: coursed rubble, ashlar margined windows and main cornice.
Advanced 4-bay elevation to the Ower addition. Rubble-built S boundary wall with circa 1920 single-storey harled garage added to S.
Piended slate roof with ashlar ridge stacks. Sash and case windows, 12-pane glazing pattern.
INTERIOR: pilastered vestibule to Custom House. Harbour Trust Boardroom formed 1884 with fine timber chimneypiece, plaster ceiling remodelled, with unicorns, by Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art circa 1950.
Wrought and cast-iron railings to side elevations.