Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

15, 17, 19 WARD ROAD, FORMER METHODIST CHURCH AND ADJOINING OFFICES, INCLUDING STEPS AND RAILINGSLB25602

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
30/03/1995
Local Authority
Dundee
Planning Authority
Dundee
Burgh
Dundee
NGR
NO 39968 30383
Coordinates
339968, 730383

Description

David Mackenzie, 1866; organ chamber 1883-4. Simple 3-bay aisled Gothic church with 6-bay nave and basement halls. Painted rubble with painted ashlar dressings, grey slate roof. Finialled buttresses to front elevation, buttressed aisle to Rattray Street; string course to basement; 5-light geometric-traceried gallery window with hoodmould and mask label stops to front elevation, 2-light pointed windows to aisles with continuous hoodmould, paired lancets to nave, lattice-paned glazing, shoulder-headed windows to basement; ashlar-coped skews

with cross-finial to front, coped stack to rear; 3 truncated ridge

ventilators.

FRONT ELEVATION: 2-leaf boarded door with decorative hinges and pointed boarded overdoor, nook shafts and moulded arch with hoodmould and mask label stops, door approached by double lateral stairs with Gothic and spear pattern cast-iron railings and lamp standard (lantern missing), modern canopy over platt at door; windows to basement and flanking aisles, gallery window above.

AISLE ELEVATION TO RATTRAY STREET: basement door to left, windows to basement bays at right, railings between buttresses, 6 paired windows to principal floor.

REAR ELEVATION: piend-roofed outshot to centre with later stair, flanked by 2 lancet windows with bullseye window above.

INTERIOR: not seen.

OFFICES: 2-storey offices slightly advanced to left of front elevation; door and 2-light trefoil-headed window to ground floor with continuous hoodmould, angle at right corbelled to splayed angle with single window to 1st floor, 3-light window to left set in recessed panel, platform roof.

Statement of Special Interest

This former ecclesiastical building has beeen incongruously painted and converted to a night club.

References

Bibliography

McKean and Walker (1993), p55; DUNDEE ADVERTISER, 31 May 1872; Dundee ADPs, book 18, pp243-4.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 15, 17, 19 WARD ROAD, FORMER METHODIST CHURCH AND ADJOINING OFFICES, INCLUDING STEPS AND RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/09/2022 05:08