James Hutton, 1884. Decorated gothic church, cruciform-
plan in prominent position with tall spire. Rubble-built
with notable ashlar details, carving by Mr Bremner of
N elevation: gabled central 4-light window with rose and
heads of Luther, Knox and Chalmers (first Moderator of
Free Church) in carved tympanum. 3-light window below
under projecting gablets. Doors approached by steps to
either side, carved tympana within gablets with cross
finials, carved animals and birds. Lancets with flowing
tracery above to right narrow buttressed bay with gablet
and pinnacles crowning the buttresses. Lower facetted-roofed
extension to right. Centre gable with pierced parapet.
TOWER, to left: square at base, chamfered angles broached
at belfry level, louvred belfry lancets, pinnacles and
gargoyle spouts at base of spire, steep facetted spire
with wrought-iron finial.
SIDE ELEVATIONS: 3 flowing traceried gabletted windows
between buttresses. Transept with large 4-light flowing
traceried window, trefoil and angle gargoyles.
S APSE: semi-octagonal with gabletted lancets and angle
buttresses. Plain basement windows with cathedral glazing.
Slate roof with fl_che at transept crossing.
Good cast-iron railings with zoomorphic hand rails.
INTERIOR: plaster rib vaulted ceiling on tall clustered
columns; transept crossing on angel corbels. Organ removed
from apse to rear gallery in 1969 (1895 organ case by R
and J Sibbald, part altered).
Modest stained glass in apse. Side war memorial windows
by Stephen Adam of Glasgow. Vestibule window by A L Russell
1952 to William Lyon Mackenzie, Canadian patriot and
writer, born near Springfield, Dundee 1795, erected by
William Lyon Mackenzie-King, Prime Minister of Canada
removed from St Mark's Church, Perth Road.