Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NO 40239 30080
340239, 730080


David Neave, 1828; extended and remodelled by James MacLaren and Sons, 1892. 4-storey and double attic, 5-bay, classically-detailed former hotel with shops to ground floor. Polished ashlar sandstone to 1st floor, painted at upper floors, various later claddings to ground floor, slate and lead Mansard roof. Corniced ground floor, fluted Ionic pilasters (paired flanking central bay) and corniced entablature to 1st floor, pilaster strips to 2nd and 3rd floor with string course between floors, corniced wallhead; tripartite and single pedimented and

architraved windows to 1st floor with anthemion acroteria, bipartites with pilastered mullions to 2nd floor, single and bipartites with checked margins to 3rd floor, keystoned segmental windows to pedimented dormers and at wallhead stack, 2-pane timber sash and case glazing; ashlar-coped skews with skew blocks; corniced ridge stacks; shouldered and corniced wallhead stack rising from parapet of bipartite

pilastered dormer (ball-finials missing), anthemion finials to angles

at wallhead.

FRONT ELEVATION: round-headed doorcase to centre flanked by altered shopfronts; tripartite window to 1st floor centre with Corinthian columned mullions and anta and blocked keystoned segmental fanlight,

2 windows to left and right; 5 bipartite windows to 2nd floor, bipartite to 3rd floor centre flanked by single windows and bipartites at outer bays; central bipartite dormer with wallhead stack flanked by 2 dormers to left and right, 6 further dormers recessed at upper level.

INTERIOR: not seen.

Statement of Special Interest

This building was originally the Thistle Hall, altered and incorporated into the Royal Hotel in 1892. See also NOTES to 1-7 Union Street.



McKean and Walker (1993), pp64-65.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 9-19 (ODD NOS) UNION STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 04/10/2023 03:16