Charles and Leslie Ower, 1880. Dramatic Victorian Gothic
villa, square plan with window projections 2-storey and
attic, coursed rubble with ashlar dressings.
S elevation continuous cusped frieze links 2 advanced
bays, left bay ashlar fronted 4-light mullioned and
transomed window at first and second floors. Facetted
French pavilion roof with corbelled bargeboarded 3-light
dormer. Right bay mullioned and transomed windows, 4-light
ground, 3-light 2nd floor with bracketted and brattished
fish-scale slate awning. Pointed hood-moulded light over
within steep cusped elaborately bargeboarded gable.
W elevation right bay similar to S elevation but with
half-piended gable. Half piended and gabled porch with
wooden traceried pointed arched door. Cross window to left
and 3-light half-piended dormer.
E elevation: ground-floor advanced 4-light bay, 3-light window
over with cusped frieze balcony, cross and 3-light mullioned
and transomed windows to right. Short colonettes carry 2
3-light dormers with incised roundels and half-piended
bargeboarded roofs. 1-storey E wing has quatrefoil parapet to
Rear: plainer 1 and 2 storey wings. 3-light stair window.
Steep decoratively banded slate roofs with cusped overhanging
eaves, wrought-iron finials and tall corbelled stacks.
INTERIOR: good plasterwork in most rooms. Neat stained
glass panels in reception. Plainer glass to stair, cast-iron
bannisters. Coving and blind arcade to cupola in pavilion
roof. Some later partitions.
Rubble-built boundary walls and ashlar piers. Ornate gothic
cast-iron railings to Seymour Street only.