Alfred and Paul Waterhouse, 1895-8. 3-storey and attic former Prudential Assurance building. Red brick, red ashlar dressings
and bandings, polished granite base course, plain red tile roof
with decorative terracotta ridge tiles. Tall ground floor with Ionic
pilastered outer bays supporting corniced frieze, cartouche panels flanked by palm leaves between lintel course at 1st and cill
course at 2nd floor, corbelled main cornice at 2nd floor; single
and bipartite windows to 1st and 2nd floors with 2-pane timber
sash and case frames, bipartites flanked by pilaster strips rising
through both floors to cornice; 2 gabled dormers to outer bays
with birdcage finials, large round-headed windows with finialled
pilasters, small gabled dormer to centre linked to outer gables by
coped arcaded parapet. Ashlar-coped return gables with cut-down stacks. Cast-iron rainwater goods, rectangular-section to front with 'PAC' inscribed hoppers.
FRONT ELEVATION tripartite window to ground floor centre with consoled fascia and 4 mezzanine windows above, round-headed pend entrance to outer bay at right, door to outer bay at left with tripartite round-headed window above; bipartite window flanked by singles at 1st and 2nd floor centre, bipartites to advanced outer bays; 3 dormers.
RIGHT RETURN AND REAR ELEVATIONS: single and paired windows.
INTERIOR: glazed tiles to ground floor public areas.