Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

5-9 MEADOWSIDE OR ALBERT SQUARE, FORMER GAELIC FREE CHURCH OR ALBERT SQUARE CHURCHLB25316

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
30/03/1995
Local Authority
Dundee
Planning Authority
Dundee
Burgh
Dundee
NGR
NO 40258 30424
Coordinates
340258, 730424

Description

David Mackenzie, 1868. 3-storey and attic, 6-bay former church converted to commercial use. Pinkish sandstone ashlar, snecked rubble to side and rear, slate roof. Band course to ground floor, cill course to 1st and 2nd floors, bracketted cornice and parapet with dies; outer bays, channelled angles to ground, rusticated quoins to upper floors. Segmental-arch windows with stilted architraves, large timber cross-windows to ground floor with pilastered jambs, 8-pane sash and case to 1st floor with aprons and consoled cornices, 6-pane to 2nd floor with consoled cornices of different design.

FRONT ELEVATION: outer bays slightly advanced with consoled and corniced doorpieces (door blocked for banking machine at right),

4 windows to centre bays; 6 windows to upper floors.

LEFT RETURN ELEVATION TO CHAPEL STREET: door to centre with keystoned round-headed doorcase and fanlight, pilastered and pedimented doorpiece, 9-pane top-hopper window to left and right flanked by small windows; round-headed window to 1st floor set in large recessed panel, 9-pane window to left and right; tripartite round-headed window to 2nd

floor with aprons and border glazing, 9-pane window to left and right; 2 keystoned segmental windows to attic.

REAR ELEVATION: 2 doors and windows to ground floor (further door and window blocked), 6 segmental windows to upper floors, 8-pane to 1st floor, 6-pane to 2nd.

INTERIOR: not seen.

Statement of Special Interest

No longer in ecclesiastical use; the congregation transferred to St Paul's, Nethergate. A pipe organ was installed in 1906 and there were considerable alterations in 1923-4. The ground floor was a hall, and the 1st and 2nd floors the galleried church which was floored over in 1959 for James Keiller and Son by Dick Peddie and McKay.

References

Bibliography

NMRS, AND 539.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 5-9 MEADOWSIDE OR ALBERT SQUARE, FORMER GAELIC FREE CHURCH OR ALBERT SQUARE CHURCH

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/09/2022 05:43