Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

56 SMALL'S WYND, OLD MEDICAL SCHOOL, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL AND RAILINGS, UNIVERSITY OF DUNDEELB25304

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
30/03/1994
Local Authority
Dundee
Planning Authority
Dundee
Burgh
Dundee
NGR
NO 39743 29934
Coordinates
339743, 729934

Description

John Murray Robertson and James Findlay, dated 1902. 4-storey and attic rectangular-plan, 13-bay medical school. Stugged pinkish sandstone coursers, snecked to rear, ashlar dressings, steeply pitched double pile piended roof with original green slates at W (replaced with grey slates at E following fire in 1970). Base course, moulded cill course to each floor, moulded eaves course; ogival-capped and finialled angle towers corbelled from 1st floor; segmental-pedimented Dutch gable to centre of N and S elevations with oculus to S and paired round-headed windows to N, smaller pedimented gables to W elevation; large, round ogival-capped and finialled cupola with continuous glazing. Cross windows to ground, 1st and 2nd floors with 4-pane to top and single pane to bottom sash and case glazing, bipartites with

8-pane sash and case glazing to 3rd floor, cast-iron rainwater goods.

FRONT (S) ELEVATION: 3 centre bays advanced, stepped doorpiece consisting of corniced 2-leaf panelled door with sidelight approached by steps with coped flanks, 4-light depressed arch window above with chamfered reveals and corbelled parapet, canted bay rising to wallhead with two 4-light stair windows flanked by single windows at 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors, gable above; 4 bays recessed to left and right with 4

windows to all floors; angle towers to 2nd and 3rd floors with 2

windows; 3 rooflights to left, 5 modern rooflights to right.

REAR (N) ELEVATION: symmetrical, 11 windows to all floors, gable above, angle towers to 2nd and 3rd floors with 2 windows.

E ELEVATION: 3-bay, windows to all floors with fire escape to centre, gable removed.

W ELEVATION: (to Small's Wynd): 3-bay, bipartite window to centre flanked by tripartites to all floors, gable.

INTERIOR: mostly original throughout. Central well stair with

corkscrew wrought-iron balusters; extensive boarded dado and lining with alternately plain and ribbed boards. 2 lecture theatres with original timber pews; original ventilation system for lecture theatres, laboratories and fume cupboards largely intact with fan in cupola, one original duct grille remaining in ground floor lecture theatre.

BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS: low coped boundary wall with 3 pyramidal-capped gatepiers and modern metal railings at Small's Wynd elevation.

Statement of Special Interest

Robertson died in 1901 and the building was completed by Findlay. The foundation stone was laid by Andrew Carnegie in 1902 and the building opened by Lord Balfour of Burleigh in 1904. The building stands on the site of St John's Free Kirk which was converted to be the first

College Hall in 1883 and where University College Dundee's opening ceremony was held on 5 October that year.

References

Bibliography

McKEAN AND WALKER (1993), p77; Shafe (1982), p41.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 56 SMALL'S WYND, OLD MEDICAL SCHOOL, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL AND RAILINGS, UNIVERSITY OF DUNDEE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/05/2022 02:31