Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

55, 55A, 59 AND 61 SMALL'S WYND, FORMER FLEMING GYMNASIUM, BOILER HOUSE AND JUTE SHED, UNIVERSITY OF DUNDEELB25300

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
30/03/1994
Local Authority
Dundee
Planning Authority
Dundee
Burgh
Dundee
NGR
NO 39698 29929
Coordinates
339698, 729929

Description

Complex of buildings comprising former gymnasium and fives courts building, boiler house and jute shed (adjoining E wing of the Geddes Quadrangle to S and E).

FLEMING GYMNASIUM: John Donald Mills and Godfrey D B Shepherd, dated 1905. Single storey, rectangular-plan, former gymnasium including 2-storey, 2-bay former fives courts. Stugged and snecked squared ashlar with polished dressings, grey slate piended roof. Fives courts to left; door at ground floor, 2 windows to 1st. Gymnasium to right; 7-bay, tall round-headed keystoned windows with non-traditional glazing, recessed at 5 centre bays delineated by ashlar pilasters (without capitals), 2-leaf glazed and panelled doors to outer bays, moulded doorcases with dentiled cornice, overdoor panels inscribed 'University College Dundee' to left and 'The Fleming Gymnasium: AD 1905' to right. Small's Wynd elevation: 3-bay, centre bay recessed with tripartite window to ground floor and at 1st floor breaking through eaves with gabled dormerhead, tripartite window to ground floor right, bipartite to 1st floor left. INTERIOR: altered and adapted to new uses.

BOILER HOUSE AND JUTE SHED: Charles Edward and Thomas Saunders Robertson, 1872 (possibly incorporating earlier building). Snecked bull-faced rubble with cream ashlar dressings, grey slate roof. 2-storey gable to right; base course, ashlar quoins, ashlar-coped skews, full-length ridge ventilator, segmental doorway and 3 windows to ground floor, segmental window to 1st, modern single storey addition to right. Lower 3-bay, single storey and attic wing to left; ashlar base course and parapet, channelled quoin strips, segmental cart entrance blocked as doorway to slightly advanced bay at left, 3 windows to 2 bays at right, 3 modern rooflights. Wing to far left; random rubble, grey slate piended roof, 3 doorways of differing sizes, 8-light continuous rooflight. INTERIOR: altered and adapted to new uses.

Statement of Special Interest

This former jute shed was associated with James Edward of A and D Edward, Flaxspinners, who lived at Ellenbank during the 1840s-60s (Ellenbank listed at 1 and 3 Perth Road).

The former Fleming Gymnasium, opened in 1905 and is a good example of an early purpose built gymnasium in Scotland. The imposing and classically proportioned principal elevations are well-detailed with pilasters and round-arched windows, adding to its streetscape interest. The City of Dundee more generally, was an early champion of regular physical activity and training, understanding that a need existed for providing institutions where physical training could be brought within the reach of all. The building now houses the University of Dundee Forensic Medicine Department. Robert Fleming was an important Scottish financier and an acknowledged expert in the financing of American railroads.

List description updated as part of the sporting buildings thematic study (2012-13).

References

Bibliography

Evident on 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1898). J Gifford, The Buildings Of Scotland ' Dundee and Angus (2012) p161.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 55, 55A, 59 AND 61 SMALL'S WYND, FORMER FLEMING GYMNASIUM, BOILER HOUSE AND JUTE SHED, UNIVERSITY OF DUNDEE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/05/2022 02:12