Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

ROTHIEMURCHUS, THE DOUNELB253

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
08/08/1978
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Parish
Duthil And Rothiemurchus
National Park
Cairngorms
NGR
NH 88602 9783
Coordinates
288602, 809783

Description

Mansion of various builds between late 17th and mid 19th

centuries. 1780-1813 S facing principal block of 2 storeys,

5 bays; granite rubble with ashlar granite dressings,

rusticated quoins and long/short detailing. To rear earlier

house and to W mainly single U-plan range forming hollow

square service court.

Principal block with centre door, flanking side lights and

rusticated ashlar dressings; Venetian window above and

3-window bowed bat rising full height to left. Single

off-centre piended dormer. Regular single bay return E gable

with ground and 1st floor windows, each with long/short

rustication and keystoned lintel in ground floor. Band

course; piended slate roof with ashlar granite modillioned

eaves.

To rear at right angles, late 17th- early 18th century house,

3 storeys, 7 bays (of at least 2 builds and heightened to

full 3 storeys in mid 19th century); rubble, tooled ashlar

dressings Off-centre door, narrow 1st and 2nd floor windows;

crowstepped gables; end and ridge coped stacks. Re-set 1598

datestone.

12-pane sash windows throughout. Projecting bowed stairwell

in rear re-entrant angle (1985) links main blocks. Interior:

some fine late 18th and early 19th century chimneypieces;

remnants of late 18th century plaster friezes.

Statement of Special Interest

Family home of Grants of Rothiemurchus. Name The Doune

derived from motte to rear of house. Re-set datestone of

1598 initialled PG for Patrick Grant taken from Dell of

Rothiemurchus, a jointure house with Muckrach Castle from

whence Patrick Grant came. The Doune presently (1985)

undergoing complete restoration, which has included

demolition of later 19th century water tower, porch and

removal of brattishing.

References

Bibliography

IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND ii (c.1858), p. 675.

Elizabeth Grant, MEMOIRS OF A HIGHLAND LADY (1898) pp. 25,

29, 169. Nigel Tranter, THE QUEEN'S SCOTLAND; THE NORTH-EAST

(1974), p. 172.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ROTHIEMURCHUS, THE DOUNE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 14/10/2019 16:19