Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

SMALL'S LANE, EWING BUILDING, UNIVERSITY OF DUNDEE, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS, RAILINGS, GATES AND GATEPIERSLB25296

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
30/03/1994
Local Authority
Dundee
Planning Authority
Dundee
Burgh
Dundee
NGR
NO 39692 29991
Coordinates
339692, 729991

Description

Reginald Fairlie, dated 1953. 2-storey and basement, with penthouse additions, rectangular-plan university building. Cream ashlar to front, coursers to sides and rear, flat roof on 2 levels with subsequent additions. Multi-pane metal windows; cill and lintel courses to 1st floor rear elevation; coped wallheads; cast-iron rainwater goods to rear elevation;

FRONT (E) ELEVATION: 9 bays delineated by 8 giant pilasters in antis, flanked by blank bays to left and right. 2-leaf panelled doors to centre, splayed reveals, fanlight with wrought-iron grille, approached by segmental, splayed flight of steps with coped flanks rounded at ends, decorative lanterns to flanking pilasters, dated lintel with coat of arms above, window to 1st floor; 6-pane windows to basement at 4 recessed bays to left and right, windows to ground and 1st floor with panels at 1st floor level. 3 sculpted coats of arms at 1st floor level to outer bays.

LEFT RETURN ELEVATION: fire escape to centre leading to penthouse addition, windows to left and right, stepped wallhead.

RIGHT RETURN ELEVATION TO SMALL'S LANE: asymmetrical; base course, 5 windows to ground floor left, 7 windows to 1st floor.

REAR (W) ELEVATION TO SMALL'S WYND: bay advanced to centre with full-height stair window in recessed panel, 9 bays to left with windows at all floors, (door to 4th bay from left, ground floor), 8 bays to right with windows at all floors (2-leaf doors to ground floor centre); penthouse additions and dish aerials at roof.

INTERIOR: not seen.

BOUNDARY WALLS, RAILINGS, GATES AND GATEPIERS: low coped ashlar boundary walls to Small's Wynd with plain steel railings; coped ashlar quadrants with plain steel railings to Small's Lane, 2 square-section open-work steel gatepiers with lantern bases (lanterns removed), paired plain steel gates and footgate.

Statement of Special Interest

The foundation stone was laid by Lord Burghley in October 1950 and the building opened in February 1954, housing the Departments of Electrical Engineering and Botany. Fairlie died in 1952, and the building was largely carried out by his partner Charles Gray. Subsequent penthouse additions have marred the integrity of the original design. The building is named after Professor James Alfred Ewing, First Professor of Engineering at University College Dundee.

References

Bibliography

Patrick Nuttgens, REGINALD FAIRLIE, 1883-1952, A SCOTTISH ARCHITECT (1959), pp37-38; Shafe (1982), pp13, 53, 106, 112, 119.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to SMALL'S LANE, EWING BUILDING, UNIVERSITY OF DUNDEE, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS, RAILINGS, GATES AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/05/2022 02:21