Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NO 39661 29890
339661, 729890


Rowand Anderson and Paul, dated 1909. 2-storey and attic with basement on falling ground to S, rectangular-plan, Scottish Renaissance-detailed physics laboratory. Ashlar at E elevation and S gable, cream at ground floor and dressings, red at 1st floor; bull-faced snecked rubble with cream ashlar dressings at N gable and W elevation; slated platform roof. Base course, band course at 1st floor, moulded wallhead with corbelled eaves; rusticated quoins. Segmental-headed windows with multi-pane, timber top-hopper frames to ground floor front; square-headed, 12-pane sash and case elsewhere, architraved and corniced with ashlar cill panels at 1st floor front; 5 pedimented 12-pane dormers to front, bipartite flat-roofed dormers to rear.

Aediculaed, louvred ventilator with finialled cupola set on balustraded platform at roof. Cast-iron rainwater goods with some moulded hoppers.

E (FRONT) ELEVATION: asymmetrical. Bay advanced to centre right; doorpiece advanced to right with 2-leaf panelled doors, lugged and moulded architrave, mannered curvilinear pediment, window to left incporporating nameplate panel, keystoned and corniced Venetian window to 1st floor, segmental pediment with swagged coat of arms; 4 bays recessed to right with windows at ground and 1st floor; 3 bays recessed to left with windows to ground (1 cut-down to door) and 1st floor;

extended mainly plain bay to far left with 2 oculi to ground floor and panel to 1st inscribed 'The Carnegie Laboratory of Physics 1909'.

S GABLE: 3 segmental-arched doors to basement; centre bay slightly advanced, Venetian window at 1st floor incorporating bull's eye windows, pediment above with coat of arms. N gable: single window to 1st floor centre, dormer.

W ELEVATION: windows to ground and 1st floor, 1 with acid tray at cill of preparation room window, modern addition to centre.

INTERIOR: 2-storey entrance hall with 3-bay, Ionic-columned arcade and scale and platt staircase; preparation room with original glazed cupboards and gallery.

Statement of Special Interest

The quadrangle is named after Patrick Geddes, biologist, sociologist, educationalist and town planner who taught botany at University College Dundee 1889-1914. A commemorative plaque in the entrance hall records that the building was the gift of Andrew Carnegie (Rector of St Andrews

University 1901-7, and to which UCD was affiliated from 1890); the foundation stone was laid by the Lady Marjorie Adeline Sinclair, 10th October 1908, and the building opened by Sir Joseph J Thomson, 26th November 1909. En-suite materially with the Harris Building, by the same architects.



McKEAN AND WALKER (1993), p76; Shafe (1982), pp19, 49; block plan of Geddes Quadrangle, dated 1907, Unversity of Dundee Archives.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to OFF PERTH ROAD, GEDDES QUADRANGLE, CARNEGIE BUILDING, UNIVERSITY OF DUNDEE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 02/12/2023 21:23