Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

PARK PLACE, CARNELLEY BUILDING, UNIVERSITY OF DUNDEE, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLSLB25266

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
30/03/1994
Local Authority
Dundee
Planning Authority
Dundee
Burgh
Dundee
NGR
NO 39787 29947
Coordinates
339787, 729947

Description

2-storey, basement and attic, basically rectangular-plan, classically-detailed, purpose-built chemistry teaching building of

complex building history thus: original single storey and basement,

L-plan building 1883; pavilion added at SW angle forming U-plan 1889; 2 tripartite bays added to N forming rectangular-plan 1905; 1st floor 1950; attic storey 1957-8. Cream sandstone ashlar at front and Park Place elevations (channelled at front ground floor centre bays), stugged coursers elsewhere, slightly darker at 1st floor, ashlar dressings; slate-hung Mansard roof. Ground and 1st floors slightly set-back from basement, channelled quoin strips at angles, ashlar wallhead course and moulded cornice, cill course at ground floor to front and Park Place elevations; single, bi- and tripartite windows, architraved to front and Park Place elevations, 2-pane timber sash and case glazing pattern, large multi-pane top-hoppers to lecture theatre

block at NW angle. Cast-iron rainwater goods, hopper dated 1883 at rear elevation.

FRONT ELEVATION: 7-bay, symmetrical. 5 bays recessed to centre; corniced tripartite doorpiece to centre with panelled door, leaded fanlight and sidelights, approached by balustraded steps over basement with pedestals and squat cast-iron lampstandards (lanterns missing), bipartite and single windows to left and right, 3 bipartites flanked by single windows to 1st floor, 2 painted coats of arms between floors, 2 single and bipartite windows to basement, 5 dormers. Pavilion bays advanced to left and right; tripartite windows to all floors.

LEFT RETURN ELEVATION: original lecture theatre bay slightly advanced to left with 3 elongated stepped windows and coped pedimental gable with anthemion acroterion; 9 bays to right with 7 windows to basement, 9 to ground and 1st floor, 7 dormers.

PARK PLACE ELEVATION: 9-bay, symmetrical. Various doors and windows to basement; tripartite window to ground and 1st floor centre flanked by bipartites and 3 single windows; 10 dormers.

REAR ELEVATION: original lecture theatre to right with 4 elongated windows, partially masked by various fire escapes; higher block to left with 4 windows at ground and 1st floor, 3 dormers; later, higher single bay ventilation block to right rising from lecture theatre wallhead.

INTERIOR: memorial plaque to Thomas Carnelley in entrance hall; ground floor laboratories retain original benches and sinks, boarded arch-braced roof with 4-light continuous glazing; original pitch pine panelled doors and architraves; main lecture theatre in original condition with pitch pine pews and lecture bench, panelled window reveals and boarded arch-braced roof with continuous glazing.

BOUNDARY WALLS: high rubble boundary wall to Park Place extending in part to front and rear elevations, probably of late 18th/early 19th century origin pertaining to earlier villas on the site.

Statement of Special Interest

This building is named after Thomas Carnelley, first Professor of Chemistry at Dundee (1882-88). University College Dundee was officially opened in October 1883, and the Carnelley Building was the only purpose-built structure for the new College, built at the cost of £10,000 given by Miss Mary Ann Baxter of Balgavies, principal benefactress to the College. The balustraded parapet with pediments and angle dies which was part of the 1883 and 1889 designs was lost in the addition of the 1st floor and attic. The original fittings in the ground floor laboratories and the survival of the main lecture theatre virtually intact are important elements in the listing of this building.

References

Bibliography

Michael Shafe, UNIVERSITY EDUCATION IN DUNDEE 1881-1981 (1982), pp12, 13, 18, 50, 108, 127.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to PARK PLACE, CARNELLEY BUILDING, UNIVERSITY OF DUNDEE, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/05/2022 03:43