William Mackison, 1871; no 77 slightly later in simpler style; former tea room interior 1900; major internal alterations including new shopfronts 1906-8 and again circa 1930-9, by Gauldie Hardie and Sharpe. 4-storey and attic, 23-bay with rounded angle and bay to right return, commercial terrace with shopfronts to ground floor. Sandstone ashlar, channelled to 1st floor, slate roof. Pilasters between sections and at angle, originally channelled to ground floor (now only remaining at no 78), panelled to 1st and 2nd floor with swagged capitals rising to consoled main cornice, paired to 3rd floor. Corniced ground floor, cill band to 1st floor incorporating open-work aprons (some now plain), cill band to 2nd floor and consoled main cornice, wallhead course and corniced blocking course. Mostly single 2-pane timber sash and case windows, tripartites to centre of no 78 and at rounded angle and flanking bays, architraved to 1st floor with alternate segmental and triangular pediments, centre window of 2 principal 7-bay sections formed as bipartites with colonette mullion and consoled balconies to windows above, keystoned and round-headed to 2nd floor with composite- capitalled nook shafts and continuous impost course, keystoned and margined to 3rd floor, 1930s box dormers, pedimented tripartite attic window rising from parapet at angle bay with round-headed parapet dormers to flanking bays, dormers to no 78 similarly treated.
FRONT ELEVATION: bays arranged 2-3-7-7-3-1; pend entry to Rankine?s Court at no 78, altered shopfronts to No 77 & 78, unified deco to No 80 in 3-tone polished granite, metal-framed windows and retractable blinds; windows to upper floors as above. Slightly set-back rounded angle to Commercial Street; Doric columned door to ground floor, tripartite windows to upper floors as main elevation, dormer, flattened domical roof with fishscale slates, cast-iron crown and flagpole. Pyramidal French pavilion roof to No 78 reduced in height, 1971.
RETURN ELEVATION TO MEADOWSIDE: shopfront to ground floor, tripartite windows to upper floors.
REAR ELEVATION: L-plan wing to No 77-80, (between Campbell?s Close and Rankine?s Court) rubble and brick-built with steep pitched roof and chamfered corner which predates front block No 80 extended in reinforced concrete with curved stair and leaded light windows to Rankine?s Court.
INTERIOR: remodelled; former "Pillared" tea room has corinthian columns, pilasters, cornices and ceilings in rich Edwardian classical style.
Statement of Special Interest
This terrace, designed by the Burgh Engineer, was built as a result of the 1871 City Improvement Act, and adjoins 68-110 Commercial Street, also listed. The Edwardian tea room is stylistically similar to the drawing room addition at Northwood, 118 Strathern Road, West Ferry by Robert Gibson (1907), also listed.
D M Brown?s Department Store was established in 1888 and expanded to occupy the whole block by 1914.