Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Removed


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Date Removed:
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NO 40502 30266
340502, 730266

Removal Reason

This building has been demolished.


Thompson and Gall, engineers, Tay Foundry, 1868. 3-storey, basement and attic, 5-bay, former waste textile, subsequently iron warehouse. Sandstone coursers, ashlar dressings, grey slate Mansard roof. Band course to ground and 2nd floor, coped parapet and skews, casement windows with 1- and 2-pane top-hoppers above.

FRONT ELEVATION: large central door with original cast-iron pedimented lintel, smaller basement door to right with 2 windows above, 2 windows to left altered to form large shop window; 5 windows to 1st and 2nd floor; slate-hung lift tower rising from parapet.

REAR ELEVATION: 3-bay. Ground floor masked by rubble and brick outbuilding; gangway link at 1st floor to iron warehouse at 20 Commercial Street (also listed), 2 windows to right; 3 windows to 2nd floor.

W GABLE: part of an early 19th century warehouse largely destroyed by fire.

INTERIOR: fireproof construction of cast-iron columns and beams with brick arched floors; cast-iron roof; spiral cast-iron stair.

Statement of Special Interest

The only building known to have been constructed by Thompson and Gall, active 1866-8 at Tay Foundry. W B Thompson took up shipbuilding and established the Caledon Shipyard (later Robb Caledon) in 1874. The warehouse was built for J and W Smith, waste merchants, later becoming the iron warehouse of George Stephen and Sons, Castle Street. The

only fully fireproof warehouse in the area. Part of Smeaton's circa 1790 dry or graving dock is reputed to lie in the cellars of one of the warehouses in Exchange Street.



NMRS, AND 543.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 22 EXCHANGE STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/09/2023 21:40