There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Date Added: 30/06/1989
- Local Authority: Dundee
- Planning Authority: Dundee
- Burgh: Dundee
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NO 40480 30585
- Coordinates: 340480, 730585
Frank Thomson, 1908. Large red ashlar theatre, 3-storey front, E elevation stepped and treated in American manner. Encircling ground floor band course. Auditorium altered internally but some good plasterwork survives.
Elevation to Cowgate: 3-storey, 11-bay. Ground floor channelled ashlar to foyer and shops, fronts altered. Canopy altered circa 1950. Square mezzanine windows over. Large 1st floor chamfered windows with aprons arranged singly and in 3s. Mutule cornice and parapet. Recessed chamfered angle with ground floor segmental arched door, wrought-iron balcony over, windows similar to N elevation.
Elevation to St Andrews Street: 2 bays in similar style; long blank area of walling to left, ground floor plain ashlar with suspended canopy for queues. Semi-domed open metal neon-light fitting. Cornice and parapet, raised block at centre. 3 bays at left stepped up as ground falls. Channelled ashlar below band course, banded ashlar above. 4 tiers of tripartites over, flanked by bipartites, 1st and 2nd floors linked by vertical recesses. Band course over 3rd floor 4th floor low shouldered windows. Mutule cornice.
S elevation rubble-built, W elevation brick-built.
Windows to Cowgate: casement at mezzanine, 12-pane glazing pattern. 2nd floor sash and case windows, 18-pane glazing pattern. Small fixed-pane windows at S. Piended slate roofs.
Interior: foyer and auditorium stalls and proscenium completely altered. 2 balconies. Domed plaster ceiling suspended from steel roof with fine plasterwork by Mr Ward, now concealed by false ceiling. Original stair to circle with good stained glass and plaster ceiling. Well preserved section underneath stalls: marble flight of steps and terrazzo floors leading to former cafe/bar with Tuscan columns. Corridor lined with Ionic pilasters and intricate plaster festoons and swags. Scroll pedimented sopraporte with female heads.
Continental Ballroom/King's Billiard Room (entered from No 21 Cowgate) has similar plasterwork to barrel-vaulted top-lit ceiling.
Statement of Special Interest
Built as the King's Theatre and Hippodrome, the auditorium was converted to a cinema in 1928. The name was changed to 'Gaumont' in 1950 and again to 'Odeon' in 1973. Closed as a cinema in 1982, the building was subsequently run as a bingo hall and now (2008) it is a nightclub.
References and Notes updated as part of the Cinemas Thematic Study 2007-08.
During a recent (2010) fire risk inspection by the local authority, a fine cast iron kitchen range was discovered in the basement of No 23 Cowgate. The large range incorporates ovens, hotplates and warming cupboards. Information from Dundee City Council.
McKean and Walker (1984) p 37. Further information courtesy of Cinema Theatre Association: www.scottishcinemas.org.uk (accessed 12.02.08).
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record.
There is no map available for this record.