There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 12/07/1963
- Local Authority: Dundee
- Planning Authority: Dundee
- Burgh: Dundee
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NO 39459 30670
- Coordinates: 339459, 730670
Late 16th/17th century. L-plan 4-storey fortress and large tower house, rubble-built with angle turrets. SW wing built circa 1588 with vaulted basement, heightened in 2 stages, pend section dated 1600, NE wing circa 1684-9 on site of keep of 1460. Roof lines and floors altered 1792 and 1799 on conversion first to woollen manufactory, then, by Samuel Bell, to barracks. Restored and harled 1985-8.
NE WING: E ELEVATION: central segmental arched pend flanked by twin drums, latter reduced to band course level 1986 and given conical roofs. Swept roofed bellcote (rebuilt 1986) on corbelled out gablet with oculus by Samuel Bell, 1799. Section to right altered from 4 to
3 storeys 1986 by raising of ground floor and blocking of 1st floor windows. Section to left earlier, battered at ground floor, 3 blocked windows reopened 1986. Wallhead stacks, that to left original, that to right new. Clasping conical-roofed angle turrets, that to left with smaller windows and thicker walls than that to right. Tall stack of NE turret rebuilt in brick. N gable slightly advanced to right, with some remnants of the earlier keep (roll moulded fireplace in attic space inside).
W ELEVATION: pend not a true arch. Roll-moulded door to right. 5-bays N of pend slightly advanced, 3 windows formed 1986 between floors by blocking of ground and 1st floor windows. 4-storeys retained at pend and stair levels.
SW WING, S ELEVATION: circa 1588, 2nd and then 3rd floor wallhead cills of dormers raised to full height in 2 stages (the second in 1790s) to the present 4-storey and basement. 6 bays between clasping angle turrets. brick-built gable and stack added to right 1986, over 2 re-opened and 1 blocked window. Some windows at lower levels roll-moulded and with sockets for bars. Evidence of blocked ground floor window between 4th and 5th bays. Small basement windows. SW tower has corbelled-out link at 2nd and 3rd floors, openings altered to match new floor levels, 1799.
W GABLE: skewputts at 2 levels, indicating that roof was raised twice and once was crow-stepped. The lower skewputt bears armorial of Dame Madelene Livingstone (late 16th century wife of Sir James Scrymgeour).
N ELEVATION: 6-bay, 3rd from left has semi-circular turret, removed 1799, reformed 1988 from original ground floor corbel. Irregular fenestration to right (at position of great hall/dining room?).
Gabled slate roofs, with piend behind SE turret. Join in roof-line behind bellcote. Stacks rebuilt in brick and harled, 1986. Windows renewed 1987, multi-paned sash and case.
INTERIOR: SW wing basement barrel vaults, and groin vault at W kitchen. All timber floors (reformed for barrack rooms 1799) and stone stairs replaced at same levels to modern standards 1988. Some evidence remains in internal walls of fireplaces (eg N gable) and of window openings (eg N face to courtyard) not discernible from outside.
Statement of Special Interest
Seat from the 14th century, of the Constables of Dundee who held Dudhope (and therefore protected or subdued Dundee, as required) for the King. In 1668 the post of constable passed from the Scrymgeours, who had till then held it, to Charles Maitland, and on in 1684 to "Bonnie Dundee", John Graham of Claverhouse. The Killiecrankie campaign began at Dudhope following Graham's clash with the Convention of Estates in March-July 1689. In 1694 the post of constable went to Archibald Douglas, earl of Forfar and he was succeeded by his cousin, under whom the post was abolished in 1748. The Douglas family occupied Dudhope castle until circa 1790 when they moved to Dudhope House. William Douglas of Brigton, obtained a lease and sub-let the castle to the "British Woollen Co" in 1792-3. It became a government barracks during the alarms occasioned by the French Revolution. Served as Barracks from 1793-1880. Purchased by the Town (with neighbouring feuars and private persons) in 1893, although again requisitioned in the two world wars.
Restored and harled 1985-89. All wooden posts and beams, including the re-used joists of a 17th century painted ceiling, together with barracks impedimenta, musket stands and WRIV grates, are believed to be destroyed.
David M Walker THE STORY OF DUDHOPE CASTLE (1959, and copies of reconstructed views in NMRS. MacGibbon and Ross IV pp270-275. McKean and Walker (1984) pp73-4. SRO GD 137/4138: accounts for wright work by Robert Chrystall, plaster work by David Milne and slate work by John and William Guild for Lord Haltoune at the house of Dudhope, 1672-5.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record.