Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

KELLIE CASTLE STABLE COURTYARD AND WALLED GARDENLB2519

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
01/03/1984
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Carnbee
NGR
NO 52010 5239
Coordinates
352010, 705239

Description

Built from 14th century onwards. North Tower: rectangular

tower possibly built on foundation of 14th century tower,

mainly now late 15th or early 16th century with top storey

and turrets of late 16th century, conical roofs of these

turrets now cut back and enclosed under main roof, vaulted

ground floor, 4 storeys above. East Tower: dated 1573 with

initials MH (Margaret Hay), originally linked to north tower

only by a passage, top storey added 17th century, L-plan with

turnpike stair in north wing, from 3rd floor to 4th floor in

re-entrant angle corbelled above a bridging arch. L-plan

linking building between 1573 and 1606 (dormer heads dated

1606), includes south tower, and long 3 storey, 4 bay range

housing public rooms with decorative dormer heads (one

renewed 1724), entrance in re-entrant angle with corbelled

turnpike stair above. Conical roofed corbelled angle turrets

at 4th floor. Additional entrance to vaulted hall on west,

with false gable corbelled over 3rd floor. North elevation

with additional stair and other projections. The whole

restored by Professor Lorimer 1878. All built of squared

rubble. All gables crowstepped. Coped chimney stack, some

diamond shafts. Windows all sash and case, glazing dating

from restoration. Interior: several vaulted ground floor

rooms; main stair (possibly late 17th/early 18th century) in

south west tower, with fretted balusters, leads to the Hall,

now Drawing Room, with circa 1660 panelling and some 18th

century panelling, chimney piece in style of Robert Adam at

east; With - Drawing Room, now Dining Room circa 1660 with

interesting painted panelling of 18th century date; the

Library 1st floor East tower, plaster ribbed ceiling dated

1617; Vine Room, (above Dining Room) and Earl's Room with

good 17th century plaster ceilings, (one dated 1676) the

former with circular painting by De Wet. Many other

interesting internal details. Dovecot inserted in south wall

of low office and stable courtyard. Walled garden, with

garden house at north west by Robert Lorimer, who laid out the

garden.

Statement of Special Interest

In the possession of the National Trust.

References

Bibliography

Hew Lorimer: KELLIE CASTLE, Guide for National Trust.

RCAHM: FIFE, KINROSS, CLACKMANNAN 1933 pp 44-47

MacGibbon and Ross, THE CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE

OF SCOTLAND. 1887 pp. 125-133

E Croft-Murray, DECORATIVE PAINTING IN ENGLAND 1537-1837,

1970

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to KELLIE CASTLE STABLE COURTYARD AND WALLED GARDEN

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 23/07/2019 21:58