Robertson and Orchar 1874-5, with Baronial architectural
detailing by J F Anderson, calendering, bag sewing and
finishing works with internal alterations 1911-14 by James
Lowe to form headquarters of A and S Henry. 3-storey
and attic 14-bay Scotch baronial front. Basement loading
doors in E 3 bays below bipartites and crowstepped
gable. Rubble-built with ashlar dressings. Office
entrance below large mullioned and transomed arched
window inserted circa 1912. All windows linked by
continuous hoodmoulds, segmental at ground and 2nd
floors, stepped at 1st floor. Tall ground floor windows
have carved wooden transoms. 1st floor windows altered
for stained glass and to sash and case in circa 1912. 2nd
floor windows partly original top-hopper and partly sash
and case. Richly corbelled parapet. 3 bays at W bipartite
below steep crowstepped gable with twin ornamental chimney
cans, and flanked by angle bartizans with slit windows,
conical roofs and wrought-iron thistle finials.
E elevation, Eadies Road, 8-bay on steeply sloping site.
Steep crowstepped gable over front 3 bays. N 4 bays
with arched door, raised by 1 storey and attic circa 1912.
W elevation similar crowstepped gable. 4-storeys of 3-bay
N section added circa 1914. Nondescript N elevation,
mainly brick infill due to demolition of rear calendering
and bag-sewing departments. Slated M roof.
Interior: extraordinary stair of banded marble panels
and bronze balusters 1912-13. Mezzanine boardroom with
timber panelled columns and plaster ceiling, 1912. 1st
floor offices and large counting house with rows of desks.
Ionic columns and plaster ceiling. All panelling and
woodwork by Methven Hyslop and Co 1912-13. Ground floor,
2nd floor and attic is as in 1874 with fittings for press
packers in the tall ground floor. Structure is timber
floors on 3 rows of cast-iron columns with some steel
reinforcements by P and W MacLellan (Glasgow). Timber and
wrought-iron tie M-roof.
Statement of Special Interest
Built for the Victoria Road Calendering Co, bought for
$7,500 in 1910 for Dundee HQ of A and S Henry
(Manchester Merchants, founded 1805). $11,798 had been
spent on the building by 1914. Further extensions to the
rear (now mainly demolished) were added in 1916-17 and 1929.
Basement and ground floor were for press packing and
despatching. 1st floor offices, 2nd floor cloth samples and
attic bag sewing and stamping. Most of the panelling, timber in boardroom, marble in stair, has vanished.