Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

34 COMMERCIAL STREET FORMER FLOUR MILLLB25091

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
30/03/1994
Local Authority
Dundee
Planning Authority
Dundee
Burgh
Dundee
NGR
NO 40485 30279
Coordinates
340485, 730279

Description

Early 19th century, built on earlier foundations upon the castle rock, the site of the medieval Castle of Dundee. Tall former flour mill, later the Castle Hill Boot Factory, then a seed warehouse. Formerly 7-storey and attic, partly reduced to 5-storey in later 19th century. W elevation extended to adjoin outer wall of further warehouse (remainder of warehouse now demolished). Coursed pinkish rubble with ashlar dressings, grey slate roof. 20th century metal casement and top-hinged windows. Ashlar-coped skews.

E ELEVATION: 4-bay; hoist doors at left bay rise from ground to 1st floor, window to 3 upper floors, keystoned depressed-arch cart entrance (partly blocked) to right with rusticated quoins and voussoirs, window to 1st floor, hoist door to 2nd, window to 2 upper floors, brick extension to rear of 30 Commercial Street masks lower floors of 2 bays to right, window to each bay at 4th and 5th floors, bay to right steps up to 6th and 7th floors. Cills of 6th storey windows at eaves.

W ELEVATION: elevation of lower 4 floors now formed by 5-bay interior wall of demolished early 19th century warehouse; keystoned, stugged ashlar, round-headed arch arcade to ground floor, 5 windows to 1st and 2nd floors, all now blinded, rendered 3rd floor, 4th floor of original building set-back and rendered.

N GABLE: steps to door at 1st floor, 2 windows to 4 upper floors, single window to top floor.

S GABLE: lower floors masked by Iron Warehouse, blank above, harled to left.

INTERIOR: basement walls of main building to the E with various blocked windows, faced to the W with 3 keystoned, rusticated ashlar, round-headed arches and 1 smaller arch; 5 similar arches to the W formerly the outer E wall of adjoining warehouse. Upper floors have timber and cast-iron posts with timber beams and floors.

Statement of Special Interest

The basement of the original building suggests it may date to the 17th or 18th century, or earlier, this area being the heart of medieval Dundee; buildings to which remains in the basement may ralate are shown in the circa 1780 painting of the waterfront, and may be the thread making works associated with Castle Hill House, also listed (See NOTES to Castle Hill House). The arcades may have been designed by David Neave, the Town Architect favoured by Provost Alexander Riddoch who owned various properties in this area. A graving dock is shown on Neave's map which appears to extend to the arcades. Situated in the yard to the rear of 18, 22-32 Commercial Street adjoining the Iron Warehouse, also listed.

References

Bibliography

Enid Gauldie, ONE ARTFUL AND AMBITIOUS INDIVIDUAL (1989); David Neave, 'Plan of Property in Dundee belonging to Alexander Riddoch' (1822), in

Gauldie; INDUSTRIES OF SCOTLAND (1890), p ; Unattributed oil painting of Dundee waterfront, circa 1780, McManus Galleries, Dundee; Wood, 'Dundee Town Plan' (1821).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 34 COMMERCIAL STREET FORMER FLOUR MILL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 23/01/2022 15:24