Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

CAMPERDOWN COUNTRY PARK SAWMILL, WORKSHOPS, FORMERLY STABLESLB25090

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
12/03/1993
Local Authority
Dundee
Planning Authority
Dundee
Burgh
Dundee
NGR
NO 3565 3298
Coordinates
335650, 732980

Description

Circa 1824-30, incorporating masonry from Lundie House (1540). Large U-plan single-storey rubble built steading, with a fourth range added

to E circa 1946-50: pebbledashed and with gabled slate roof.

N AND S COACH-HOUSE RANGES, ELEVATIONS TO COURTYARD: 3 depressed arched cart entries with hinged timber doors. 3 smaller doors and windows to W. Clock removed c1990 from N coach-house. S coach-house harled.

CENTRAL RANGE, E ELEVATION: 4 dougle-leaf doors, each flanked by 2 windows; larger blocked door to N. W elevation: 2 windows to N, 2 modern entrances with sliding doors. 16th century red sandstone lancet gunloop built into wall.

Piended slate roofs. Cast-iron skylights and inverted-V ventilators to mid range. Windows sash and case, 12-pane glazing pattern.

Statement of Special Interest

Lundie House was the seat of the Duncan family prior to the building of Camperdown House. A buttressed stub of wall to the SE of the coash-house may be a remnant of it. The timber clad sawmill to the E is relatively modern.

References

Bibliography

AN INVENTORY OF GARDENS AND DESIGNED LANDSCAPES IN SCOTLAND vol 4 pp64-69.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CAMPERDOWN COUNTRY PARK SAWMILL, WORKSHOPS, FORMERLY STABLES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/05/2019 14:35