G A Cox with James Maclaren, 1865-6. Magnificent 282' 10"
chimney stalk in form of Italian campanile, polychrome
brick on ashlar base. A landmark.
Battered channelled ashlar base with small arched openings.
Tall square-section plinth with angle pilasters and corbels
in yellow brick. Main shaft above with angle pliasters
having alternate red and yellow horizontal bands. Tall
recessed centres to each elevation with 9 slit windows and
top round-headed arch over oculus.
Paired Romanesque arches and Greek key above. Large cornice.
Octagonal top section, each face with recessed arch. Top
coping and urns removed.
Interior: circular-section chimney within square section
stack, 1 of the angles used as a ladder.
Statement of Special Interest
The best industrial chimney in Scotland. The only comparable
structure in England is the India Mill chimney, Darwen,
1867 310 feet. The 2 campanile chimneys in Bradford-Saltaire
1868, circa 150 feet and Manningham, 1873, 250 feet are
stone built. The campaniles at Tower Works, Leeds, circa
1900, are much smaller. None match the exuberant decoration
of Cox's stack.