Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NO 52469 3579
352469, 703579


Original, L-plan house consisting of western 2/3 of south

front and western gable of north front, 3 storeys with

dormerheads, with northern jamb raised to 4; enlarged and

altered by Sir William Bruce 1668-74 for himself; William

Burn additions and alterations 1827, David Bryce alterations

1853. Now essentially Scottish Renaissance house; Bruce

extended L-plan to U with 4 angle pavilions, infilling the

area between the north wings with a 2-storeyed block,

probably having a platform and balustraded roof.

NORTH ELEVATION central section: now 5-bay, 3-storey (upper

storey raised, mid 18th century), flanked by crowstepped

cross wings 3 storeys at east, 4 at west, windows now

regularised, the gable end flush with central bays,

projecting porch (1830-31 Thomas Clark builder) with 18th

century Venetian window above, 3 windows in 2nd floor; outer

advanced pavilions linked by quadrant screens to 5-bay,

2-storey, piended roofed pavilions probably circa 1745.

LONG GARDEN FRONT: 2 storeys and attic irregular

fenestration, cast-iron balcony at first floor (1830-31

Clark) partly obscuring Bruce's pedimented and banded

pilaster doorpiece supporting swags of fruit and a basket;

projecting end pavilions, west with oriel of 1853.

EAST ELEVATION: double gabled out-shot housing service stair


WEST ELEVATION: with corbelled ogee domed turret and stair

tower with conical roof and single bay infilled 1856-58 by

Bryce between outer square pavilions. Steeply pitched slate

roof with crowsteps and dormer heads to garden, shallower

pitch to north.

INTERIOR: Much of Bruce's interior survives including

chequered marble floor in hall. 1st floor 3 Bruce apartments

open off gallery, high relief ceilings by George

Dunsterfield; originally at west Dining Room (now Drawing

Room) Drawing Room (now Library) centre, State Bed-chamber

(now Dining Room) at east; central and eastern room with

painted ceiling panels. Remaining 1st floor apartments circa

1830 with Burn chimneypieces. Stair from entrance hall by

Burn circa 1831, west stair by Bryce. On 2nd floor the Blue

Bedroom and Globe Room with low relief plaster ceilings.

Fine balustraded terrace garden. Numerous garden ornaments,

urns, mercury etc.

Statement of Special Interest

The masons working for Bruce were John Hamilton, Alexander

Scott and Archibald Wallace.



SNMR MR DAVID BRYCE Catalogue 1976, p.114.


Information by courtesy of Buildings of Scotland Research


About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BALCASKIE HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/05/2019 18:03