Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

3 BELL STREET, UNIVERSITY OF ABERTAY, FORMER JAMES CHURCHLB24968

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
01/02/1995
Local Authority
Dundee
Planning Authority
Dundee
Burgh
Dundee
NGR
NO 40062 30503
Coordinates
340062, 730503

Description

1845; upper floors late 19th century. 4-storey and basement former warehouse building, extended and converted from a UP church, now part of University of Abertay, situated on falling ground and corner site with Euclid Crescent. Stugged pink sandstone

coursers with ashlar dressings, piended grey slate roof. Base course, cill and lintel band to 2nd floor, wallhead course; windows of various design, wallhead gableheads to 3rd floor.

BELL STREET ELEVATION: 3-bay, centre bay slightly advanced, blocked depressed-arch door to centre with rectangular hoodmould flanked by buttresses now altered at left by later door and mostly masked at right by early lean-to addition with door and round-headed windows, large multi-pane astragelled window above with chamfered jambs and

hoodmould, similar narrower windows to left and right, recessed

canted windows to 2nd floor outer bays, 3 windows to 3rd floor.

EUCLID CRESCENT ELEVATION: 5-bay; 3 margined basement windows to right, shopfront to left with cast-iron columns and moulded and consoled fascia, 5 windows extending through ground and 1st floor above with dividing transom, ground floor windows consisting of single pane to bottom and 6-pane cathedral glass panes to top, 1st floor windows with

8 panes to bottom and 9 cathedral glass panes to top (2 windows to left altered and partially blocked), 5 recessed canted windows to 2nd floor, 5 windows to 3rd floor.

INTERIOR: not seen.

Statement of Special Interest

No longer in ecclesiastical use, the James UP Church congregation withdrew from the Temple Lane Church in 1873.Following its conversion from a church, this building was an architectural ironmongers and then William Smith's shoe warehouse. It is strategically situated adjoining the Dundee High School (former Girls' School) and facing the W elevation of the principal High School building in Euclid Crescent, both buildings also listed.

References

Bibliography

No Bibliography entries for this designation

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 3 BELL STREET, UNIVERSITY OF ABERTAY, FORMER JAMES CHURCH

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/09/2022 06:25