Old Mill: Circa 1833-36 1-2- and 3-storey and attic iron
framed flax mill, rubble-built, consisting of:
(a) 1834-6 3-storey and attic 10-bay mill with 3-bay
gable to Brown St. Gable with hoist door at 2nd floor
and 2 windows in attic. Projecting 1-by 2-bay stair and
hoist doors with pedimented gable, oculus and the base of
a small bellcote at E. Windows in N elevation blocked,
others are multi-paned sash and case, some with original
hoist doors. Tall engine house attached to E gable with
2 round-headed windows each to N and S, 1 with larger
door inserted for replacement of engine.
(b) W wing circa 1836, 3 storey with smaller attic,
7 bays to Brown St and blank S gable with skewputts and
flat-topped finial. Windows 4-paned casement to Brown
St and multi-paned sash and case to rear.
(c) 1849-51 2-storey batching house forms U-plan with
mill. Walls partially hidden by later concrete external
stairs. Piended roof. Court roofed in 1860s with
kingpost trusses and ground floors of 2- and 3-storey
blocks is carried on stout flanged iron colonnades. 1-
storey batching shed with piended roof added to S,
circa 1889-91. Slate roofs.
Interior iron framed and brick arched with stone
flagged floors. Oldest mill has 2 rows of iron columns
with Bell capitals, eyelets and no tie-rods visible.
W wing has a single row of columns. Fine spiral stair.
Timber collar-beam roofs. Engine house has massive
masonry base, wooden stair, platforms and a large
West Mill: circa 1851, between dyeworks and the Lochee
Road block. 2-storey rubble iron framed block for
batching, preparing and winding with 5 wide arched
ground floor doors. 14 large cast-iron brackets held
lean-to roof (glazing removed) linking with the main
mill. Iron framed interior. Pieneded slate roof.
Engine House to N 1851, rubble with 2 round-headed
windows, cornice, parapet and piended slate roof.
Interior plastered and painted with decorated corbels
and timber roof. Was used to drive the first power-loom
factory (demolished) and later the N section of Lochee
Road block. N elevation blank, with cornice, adjoining
1851 square-section-chimney, rubble to the height of
the engine house, brick beyond, with firebrick at the
Statement of Special Interest
List excludes 1920s steel-framed dyeworks and associated
brick buildings. Originally known as "Hospital Ward
Wm Boyack was the biggest flax spinner in Dundee in 1836
but bankrupt in 1842. His mills lay empty for 7 years
until bought by Gilroy Brothers and Co. Tay Works. After
the Coffin Mill, this is the biggest pre-1850 mill in
Dundee, with a particularly interesting interior,
similar to that at Pitalpin Mill. Contains 19th
century foundry patterns. The West Mill, Engine House
and Chimney closely relate to the Tay Works Lochee Road