Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NO 40199 30325
340199, 730325


Charles Edward, 1859; extended by Charles Ower senior 1864 and 1870; further extended by Charles and Leslie Ower 1874, 1883 and 1889. 4-storey, 24-bay, classically-detailed former offices and printing works of Dundee Courier and Advertiser, arranged in four 5-bay sections with single window linking and flanking bays. Ashlar, rubble to rear, grey slate roof. Channelled ground floor, cornice to 1st and 2nd floors with balustraded window aprons, bracketted wallhead cornice, balustraded parapet with dies. Architraved windows, corniced at 1st and 2nd floors with pediments to centre bays of each section and at

linking and right flanking bay, section to left has all windows pedimented at 1st floor and segmentally-pedimented at 2nd. Linking bays very slightly advanced with rusticated quoins. 4-pane timber sash and case windows, mostly 12-pane to rear.

FRONT ELEVATION: doorcase to far left with consoled and keystoned lintel (John Leng and Co monogram at keystone), 4 further doors and 19 windows to ground floor, 24 windows to upper floors (bipartite at 3rd floor far left). 3 decorative metal pendant lamp brackets.

REAR ELEVATION: 4-storey, 12-bay section to left; original elevation slightly recessed at 3 lower floors, 4th-7th bays from left. Basically symmetrical with 12 windows to all floors; bipartite window and corbelled, conically roofed angle window to attic at left. 5-storey, 6-bay section to right, symmetrical with 6 windows to all floors. Lower 5-storey, 6-bay section to far right, symmetrical with 6 windows to all floors; square-section chimney stalk rising from angle at right with corniced brick upper stage.

INTERIOR: not seen.

Statement of Special Interest

Sir John Leng pioneered illustrated daily newspapers from these premises. The building forms a stylistically similar, continuous frontage with 5 Bank Street, also listed. The rear elevation faces the Howff, also listed. The upper floors were converted to flats in 1994.



McKEAN AND WALKER (1993), p22; ARCHITECT, 1 December 1883; William Kidd, GUIDE TO DUNDEE, 3rd ed. [1900], pp44-5.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 7-25 (ODD NOS) BANK STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 04/10/2023 04:21