Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

MARINE PARADE, FORMER PANMURE SHIPYARD, (WM R STEWART AND SONS)LB24952

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
02/11/1989
Local Authority
Dundee
Planning Authority
Dundee
Burgh
Dundee
NGR
NO 40921 30187
Coordinates
340921, 730187

Description

2-storey brick-built shipyard workshops, later 19th century, perhaps rebuilt after 1869 fire, extended early 20th century.

Long range aligned N-S between Victoria Dock and the Tay, 7 N-most bays whitewashed. S part of the block heightened from 1 to 2-storey. Single-storey rear: short N-lights to N, long double-pitched roof to S.

ELEVATION TO VICTORIA DOCK: Piended gable to workshops. 3-storey office extended from 3 to 5 bays, oriel at right . Ground floor slated awning on timber brackets added circa 1970.

Slate roof with 2 dividing walls; most windows segmental-arched 8-pane top-hoopers, 4 later enlarged. Sash and case windows, 4-pane glazing pattern, to office.

INTERIOR: timber floor on cast-iron columns. Steel roof trusses to single-storey parts. Office timber stair balusters and decorative collar-beam roof (perhaps recently embellished?)

Statement of Special Interest

Panmure shipbuilding yard, founded circa 1840, was occupied first by David Calman and then by Alexander Stephen and Sons, who came to Dundee in 1844. Stephens built 168 vessels, both timber and iron, including the LOCHEE, the BEAR, and the EASTERN MONARCH. Portable covers, an Admiralty device, were used, and the first auxiliary screws were put into whaling vessels. In 1894 after the death of William Stephen, the yard was taken on by the Dundee Shipbuilders Co Ltd, who constructed RRS DISCOVERY, and from 1906 the Dundee Shipbuilding Co Ltd. Closed circa 1940.

References

Bibliography

A H Millar GIMPSES OF OLD AND NEW DUNDEE (1936) pp 171-3

J L Carvel STEPHEN OF LINTHOUSE (1950)

D Y B 1906.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MARINE PARADE, FORMER PANMURE SHIPYARD, (WM R STEWART AND SONS)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/07/2019 00:11