Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

BRIGHT STREET BOYS BRIGADE HALL, FORMER CAMPERDOWN WORKS HALF-TIMER'S SCHOOLLB24946

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
18/05/1987
Local Authority
Dundee
Planning Authority
Dundee
Burgh
Dundee
NGR
NO 37894 31751
Coordinates
337894, 731751

Description

Probably James MacLaren dated 1884. Single-storey

cruicform plan school, coursed rubble with ashlar

dressings on a rubble base. 3-bay S-gable, central

bipartite with arched keyblocked fanlight flanked

by blocked hood-moulded windows. Corbelled skewputts

skews with kneelers. Ball finial to gable missing, 2-

bay wings. N elevation similar with flat-roofed

porch having moulded chamfered segmental-headed

door in re-entrant angles for separate boys' and

girls' entrances. E gable 3 hood-moulded windows,

corbelled skewputts and elaborate stack at apex of

gable. W gable similar but with segmental arched hood

mould over central window below scrolled circular

panel dated 1884.

Statement of Special Interest

The half-time system, by which children aged 10-14 (over

11 after 1891 and over 12 after 1891) spent alternate

days or half a working day at school and worked half

time as shifters in mills, was more persistent in

Dundee than elsewhere in Scotland, dying out only in

the 1900s. Most schools were in the attics of older

mills and only a few firms provided purpose-built

buildings.

References

Bibliography

No Bibliography entries for this designation

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BRIGHT STREET BOYS BRIGADE HALL, FORMER CAMPERDOWN WORKS HALF-TIMER'S SCHOOL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/07/2019 14:15