Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

WEST BRIDGEND, LEVENFORD HOUSE LODGE AND FORMER STABLES (ON HELENSLEE ROAD)LB24918

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
03/03/1971
Local Authority
West Dunbartonshire
Planning Authority
West Dunbartonshire
Burgh
Dumbarton
NGR
NS 39089 75283
Coordinates
239089, 675283

Description

J T Rochead, architect of gate lodge, circa 1853; set above

steep slope; rectangular-plan stable block built below, circa

1865, 2 joined 1903 by linking bay, John Burnet and Son,

architects. Scottish Baronial with crowstepped gables and

dummy gun ports; squared, stugged and snecked rubble. Lodge

is square-plan, single storey and attic, with basement to

south and to east, and conical-roofed stair turret rising

from below basement level at south east angle; 2-bay north

elevation, round-headed door in gabled shallow porch,

tripartite to left below single window in gabled dormer head:

Apex stacks with diamond flues. Former stables are single

storey and attic with gabled dormers long east wall with 4

ventilators, stack (3 diamond flues) above wall head gables:

2 wide modern sliding doors to west wall, lintelled garage

opening in north gable, and heavy stone apex finial. Linking

bay joins to basement level of lodge.

Statement of Special Interest

B group with Helenslee Road Roadbridge.

References

Bibliography

Dean of Guild Drawings of 1907 linking bay in Dumbarton

Library.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to WEST BRIDGEND, LEVENFORD HOUSE LODGE AND FORMER STABLES (ON HELENSLEE ROAD)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/08/2022 22:24