Dunn and Hansom of Newcastle, architects. Built 1900-3.
Aisled, 8-bay Gothic church with lower chancel, sanctuary
added later; detached 3-stage tower added to west 1926-7,
Pugin and Pugin of London, architects. All bullfaced red
snecked rubble with polished dressings. Church has simply
detailed principal gabled elevation to Strathleven Place; 2
doors recessed under moulded arches with flanking blind
arches, cross-finialed gable above with figure of St Patrick
in canopied niche; 3 lancets above; angle buttresses;
hood-mould to all openings; gable oculus; single hood-moulded
and plate-traceried aisle windows. Paired, hood-moulded
windows with cusped heads to aisle and clerestory, aisle bays buttressed. West aisle has gabled door at north end.
Traceried window to south (chancel) gable. Flat-roofed
sacristy at south west corner (other roofs slated, with red
Interior: aisle arcades on circular piers. Small organ
gallery at north with panelled front and flanking pipes.
Baptistry in eastern aisle. High altar with reredos under
gothic baldacchino all in marble. Marble altar and reredos to
chapels at south end of either aisle; octagonal marble
pulpit. Painted panels on walls of Stations of the Cross.
Rood hangs from chancel arch; painted figure of St Michael by
Eric Gill; some leaded glass windows; timbered roof. Tower
linked to west aisle. Traceried windows to 2 faces of lower
stage; figure in canopied niche to 3 faces of 2nd stage,
flanked by cusped lights. 3rd stage, large pointed, louvered
and traceried belfry window to each face. Stepped angle buttresses (enclosing stair at north west) rising into pinnacles, these
linked by corbelled parapet, pierced and crenellated.
Set behind low, red, bullfaced rubble boundary wall with
square gatepiers and simple iron gates and railings.