Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

OVERTOUN HOUSE AND GARDEN WALLSLB24907

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
03/03/1971
Local Authority
West Dunbartonshire
Planning Authority
West Dunbartonshire
Burgh
Dumbarton
NGR
NS 42459 76127
Coordinates
242459, 676127

Description

James Smith of Glasgow, architect. Built 1860-63. Elaborately detailed large, asymmetrical, Scottish Baronial mansion house; 2 and 3 storeys over basement, and set on slope, with 5-storey square tower at north west corner and 3-storey stair tower to west. Stugged coursers with polished dressings and raised quoins. Either square or segmental-headed windows with shaped hood-moulds, carved label stops, pedimented dormer

heads to upper floors, corbelled angle turrets and crowstepped gables.

North elevation: tower with corbelled and crenellated parapet and cap house attached to 3-storey entrance range; off-centre large corbelled and crenellated porte-cochere leading to projecting porch with round- arched door; stair window to left, with two 2-storey bays beyond and angle turret.

South (garden) elevation: Asymmetrically massed, stepped down from west to east. Outer gabled bays linked by boldly bracketted balcony at raised ground floor with central stair to garden. Canted windows in outer bays; angle turret at south west corbelled from 2nd floor. Conical-roofed stair tower in re-entrant angle at south east corbelled at upper level. Plate glass windows throughout, mosly sashes. Stacks,

coped, or with grouped diamond flues; slated roofs, with fish-scale slating over turrets. Modern steel fire escape to west.

Interior: Elaborate classical doorpieces, chimneypieces and entablatures, and ornate ceiling plasterwork. Vaulted stair passage, decorated with painted panels, leads from main door into Corinthian- columned entrance hall. Principal rooms on ground and 1st floors lead off long lobby; ground floor lobby has ribbed ceiling and 2 shell-hooded niches with entablatures; drawing room is L-plan, with very rich plasterwork, and painted ceiling panels. Dining room and library ceilings each have pendant cornice. Cast-iron stair balustrade has lion rampant pattern entwined in thistle decoration.

Terraced, rectangular garden enclosure to south is enclosed by buttressed and bull-faced ashlar retaining wall with pierced ashlar parapet, steps are central on south wall; circular bastions at south east and south west corners.

Statement of Special Interest

Built for James White of Overtoun. Acquired by Dumbarton Town Council 1939, and used for a time as a maternity hospital. On the outside of the house are biblical inscriptions and these, as well as the instruments represented on drawing room ceiling panel, all relate to Psalm 150 (information from present (1981) tenants). There are 2 marble statues of Ruth G B Lombardi of Rome, 1872, each which formerly occupied a niche in ground floor lobby. In addition are 2 busts by J Warrington Wood, Rome, 1873, of Lord & Lady Overtoun.

The grounds were landscaped and laid out by C Kemp of Birkenhead. The high quality of the interior work is of part interest.

References

Bibliography

DUMBARTON HERALD 11.6.1863 (copy in Dumbarton Library).

Donald MacLeod, DUMBARTON ANCIENT AND MODERN, 1893

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to OVERTOUN HOUSE AND GARDEN WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/05/2019 19:31