Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
West Dunbartonshire
Planning Authority
West Dunbartonshire
NS 39774 75530
239774, 675530


James Thomson (of Baird & Thomson, Glasgow) architect. Dated

1900. Large asymmetrical, 2-storey, L-plan block, with former

stables and service wing. Scottish Jacobean details. Stugged

red sandstone ashlar with polished dressings. South and east

elevations broadly similar with off-centre 3-storey, single

bay square tower. South elevation: tower with round-headed

door in moulded architrave, ogival-headed window above;

corbelled 2nd floor, decorative bipartite, with burgh arms in crow-stepped dormer head; angle shafts corbelled from 1st

floor support clasping conical-roofed and finialed turrets;

tall, panelled stacks flank pyramidal roof, finished with

iron brattishing. Advanced west bays with large, 1st floor

mullioned and transomed oriel, shaped and crow-stepped gable

with obelisk and lion finials, and 2 ogee-capped axial

ventilators: linked to tower by 2 lower bays; 5 bays to east,

2 under crow-stepped gable. East elevation: variation of the

southern tower, angle finials, decorative lead roof with

finialed bell-cast cap. Outer bays broader and gabled;

bipartites in north bay below shaped gable; 2-storey canted

window in south bay below gable with kneelers; intermediate

bays all have decorative, shaped or pedimented dormer heads.

Corniced stacks, slate roofs.

Interior: entrance hall has decorative tiled walls; panelled

doors have copper finger plates with Art Nouveau details,

leaded glass stair window commemorating coronation of King

Edward inserted 1903; council chambers have leaded windows

portraying "science, engineering, truth, justice, fortitude

and faith". Single storey former stable block has

segmental-arched openings, stepped stacks and piended roof.

Corniced, square, polished red ashlar gatepiers to east and

to west have decorative wrought-iron gates.

Statement of Special Interest

War memorial cross and old College Bow in grounds to east

statue of Peter Denny to south (last 2 listed separately).



LENNOX HERALD 30.9.1899 9.10.1899. (inc sketch) 4.4.1903

(Copies in Dumbarton Library)

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GLASGOW ROAD MUNICIPAL BUILDINGS AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/08/2022 22:44