Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

QUEEN'S ROAD PARISH CHURCH AND GRAVEYARD, CHURCH OF SCOTLANDLB24842

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
05/02/1971
Local Authority
East Lothian
Planning Authority
East Lothian
Burgh
Dunbar
NGR
NT 68183 78581
Coordinates
368183, 678581

Description

James Gillespie Graham, 1818-21. Perpendicular Gothic

Revival. Rectangular with clasping angle buttressed towers

and 4-stage W tower. Canted 5-sided buttressed apse added to

E gable by W and J Hay of Liverpool 1897. Coursed squared

Bourhouse sandstone rubble; ashlar dressings. Slate roof.

Mullioned and traceried pointed windows. Hoodmoulds above all

openings. Gabletted, crenellated parapet to apse, gables and

towers, resting on string course.

Entrance tower divided by string courses with openings to

each face at each stage. 4-centred doorways to porch; 2-light

cusped windows in 1st and 2nd stage with 3-light louvred

openings at belfry.

Tower flanked by tall aisle windows; latter repeated at E. N

and S walls 5 bays between outer corner tower; advanced

centre bay gabled with circular trefoiled window in gable

head.

INTERIOR: aisled with 5-bay pointed arcades on columns with

moulded capitals. Timber ceiling trusses exposed and

gothicised 1897. Gallery in W bay with traceried panelled.

Gothic style oak pulpit and sounding board (1918), communion

table (1934).

Plain leaded windows of 1897. Original galleries removed by W

and J Hay. Stained glass: central apse window Edward Frampton

(1901) flanked by Ballantine and Sons to left (1865) and

right (1871). 3-light S window by A L and C E Moore (1926). Wall-monument to George Home circa 1611 at E end of N aisle.

Renaissance Triumphal arch; incorporated from earlier church.

Polychrome marble and alabaster. 12ft high by 26ft wide.

Profiled kneeling figure centre, flanking Knight atlantes

supporting Justice and Wisdom figures. Reclining, figures in

arch and scrolled heraldic panel above. Possibly Italian

workmen employed: restored in 1897 by Grant Stevenson.

LAVABO: S of Home monument. W Birnie Rhind circa 1901. Shell

supported by pair of putti, probably alabaster. Dedicated to

Rev. Robert Buchanan.

GRAVEYARD: Rubble sandstone boundary wall extending S.

W WALL: mid 17th century wall-slab. Ionic columns with egg

and dart moulding, with weaponry reliefs and flanking

strapwork behind. Trumpet-blowing angel in centre arch above

illegibly weathered inscription panel. Escutcheon on crowning

pediment. Possibly made for a victim of battle of Dunbar.

W WALL: late 17th century wall-slab. Bipartite form with

channelled columns. Weathered inscription above with curved

pediment. Purves family monument; modern inscriptions in

arched recesses.

CENTRE: early 19th century diminutive Gothic building now

used as tool-house. Rubble and slates. Round arched door in

advanced pedimented bay, flanked by blind, Y-traceried

pointed arch lights.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Prominent edifice on

raised site. Former large collegiate church of 1342, which

became Town Kirk 1560 with tower added 1739 on same site

exactly.

1818-21 building by Wall and Dickson contractors, Haddington;

cost $6,000 (Miller p 198).

Interior refurbishment of 1897 result of repeated fund

raising from 1883 instigated by Duchess Dowager of Roxburghe (Haddingtonshire Courier).

References

Bibliography

C McWilliam LOTHIAN 1980 pp 181-3. J Miller HISTORY OF DUNBAR

J Horne PICTURESQUE DUNBAR. Groome vol II p403. NMRS Plans

measured and drawn by J S Richardson - 1902. N L Gen Hutton

MSS vol 1 no 28, plan of Jan 1817.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to QUEEN'S ROAD PARISH CHURCH AND GRAVEYARD, CHURCH OF SCOTLAND

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/05/2019 07:40