Original centre block circa 1740, substantial flanking wings
and alterations 1792, R and J Adam. 3-storey and basement
pavilions; 2-storey, basement and attic centre. U-plan
classical mansion. Red sandstone, squared rubble to S (rear)
and W elevations; rendered E side and ashlar N front. Ashlar
dressings and projecting cill and band courses defining
ground and 2nd floor levels. 12-pane glazing pattern. Slate
roof with ashlar stacks.
N ENTRANCE FRONT: 7-bay central block advanced centre 3 bays
spanning basement recess; semi-circular portico adjoining
enclosing steps, massive Ionic columns and paterae frieze.
Balustrade with blank panels continued over portico and
recessed flanks. Semi-circular arched doorway, decorative
fanlight and panelled double doors. Boldly advanced,
pedimented, 3-bay, flanking pavilions. Arched recess at
centres, each enclosing tripartite window and 12-pane sash
window above. Dentil cornice.
S ELEVATION TO HIGH STREET: 2-storey 7-bay centre, set back
with advanced 3 central bays with arched recess enclosing
window and blind balustrade. Fluted and paterae frieze,
balustrade and parapet raised at centre, supporting winged
sphinx figure. Advanced, pedimented 3-bays at ends; ground
floor windows of W bays heightened.
E ELEVATION: altered for military accommodation; hollow well
behind full-height archway at centre bridged by balconies
with iron railings.
INTERIOR: little of original remaining. Dentilled
plasterwork; dado rail, classical timber fireplace in hall.
Stone stair; cast-iron balustrade and wooden rail.