Alexander Ponton, 1788-91. 3-storey, L-plan house with
basement to rear wing. Squared and coursed sandstone front;
random rubble rear and sides. Droved plain ashlar margins;
ashlar band course above basement. Eaves cornice. Rendered S
gable. Slate roofs and gable head stacks. 12-pane glazing
pattern, smaller at 3rd floor.
ENTRANCE ELEVATION: 5-bay, symmetrical. Early 19th century
Roman Doric porch projecting onto High Street with dentil
cornice. Panelled door and plate glass fanlight. Segmental
arch bridging N side coach entrance.
W WING: 4-bay across 3 N bays of High Street block. Door in
1st return bay. W end gable with 2 windows to S. N elevation
by passage with random window arrangement.
INTERIOR: some original chimneypieces survive, and some
Statement of Special Interest
Presently a retirement home. Commissioned by Earl of
Lauderdale allededly as competition to the St George Hotel.
Called the 'New Inn' then: still referred to as such today.
Used as barracks in 19th century. 3 chimneypiece designs by
Robert Adam never realised.