Founded 1719, rebuilt and enlarged in 1814 and 1887, possibly incorporating 18th century vaults and fragments. Brewery
composed of former maltings, kilns and brewhouse. Brick
additions of late 19th century and 20th century.
MALTINGS: probably 1814. 4 x 4 bay, 3-storey sandstone rubble
block with triple piended pantiled roofs and slate easing
course. 4-pane glazing pattern.
N FRONT: 1887 dated lintel of westmost doorway; enlarged
entrance in 2nd bay to E. Ground floor door altered to window
and 3rd floor hoist door blocked.
E SIDE: asymmetrical ground floor openings with door left of
final bay to N. Timber-clad, gabletted and slated hoist
projecting from 2nd bay to left, probably moved from central
S SIDE: similar. Abutted by rubble-built piend roofed
intermediary block with lean-to modern brick extension,
connecting maltings to kilns.
INTERIOR: 5 x 5 rows of stout cast-iron columns with sockets
for timber beams, replaced circa 1900 by steel girders. Later
concrete floor to final bay E otherwise timber collar beam
KILNS: 3 square plan sandstone rubble kilns of varying 19th
century dates. S and SW ones raised 1887. Various later
alterations and additions. Interior of N kiln with timber
roof, grilled drying floor on wrought-iron tension rods. S
kiln entered through re-entrant angle. SW kiln bull-nose
rendered above base. N and S kilns with slated, pyramid
tapering to funnel roofs; leaded ventilator caps. SW kiln
with piended pantile roof, slate eaves easing course to E and
tall timber ventilator tower at ridge intersection to S.
VAULTED CELLARS: between SW kiln and maltings. 2 painted
rubble vaults possibly of 18th century with low curved
chamber. Higher, wider brick vault to S, 1814 dated block on
former outer gable skew above cellars. Upper floors and roof
PRODUCTIVE BUILDINGS: 1887. Gabled brick block with roofs at
4 different levels, running E-W, abutting earlier maltings to
E. Pantiled roof with slate eaves easing course at intervals.
BREWHOUSE: N front of 6 bays, 2 centre bays raised to
3-storey height. 2 gabletted slated dormers breaking eaves to
W, one a former loft opening, retaining pulley above. Varied
and altered openings below.
BOILER/ENGINE HOUSE: full-height, to W of brewhouse. Louvred
ventilators with pyramidal caps to ridge and S lower slope of boilerhouse inverted mansard. Cast-iron rectangular water
tank above central roof to S. Circular section brick chimney
stalk on square section pedestal, rising from roof slope; red
brick with yellow fire brick above and cornice.
Interiors: copper and timber mash tun at W of brewhouse.
Fermenting tanks to E.
OFFICE: early 19th century. Single storey office in sandstone
rubble with late 19th century addition to N in brick with
ashlar dressings. Original office with mullioned window to
S, small-pane glazing pattern, and doorway to E. N addition
with 4-centred arch lintel and decorative leaded glazing
pattern. Pantiled roofing with slate easing course, pyramidal
over original, piended over extension.
INTERIOR: original office with coomb ceiling and plaster
rose; pilasters to window mullions.
JOINER'S SHOP: early 19th century rectangular block, probably
stables originally. Sandstone rubble. Variety of openings,
altered or blocked overall.
W ENTRANCE FRONT: window and wide door to N and door to S.
E-FRONT: window to S with further windows flanking slated,
gabled hayloft and blocked brick former door below. Brick
lean-to with corrugated-iron roof to N end.
N-GABLE: large machinery doors.
INTERIOR: cobbled floor and timber ceiling multi-pane glazing
pattern. Pantiled piend roof.
MAINTENANCE WORKSHOP: early 19th century T-plan sandstone
rubble mill building with later brick lean-to extension to E incorporating early wall on N.
W-gable blank with lade below. N-side of 2 doorways with
ashlar lintels, wider with semi-lugged architrave. Pantiled
piend roof to original block; brick stack.