Circa 1500, substantially rebuilt after 1570 fire at which
date upper part of tower with angle bartizans built,
extensive alterations and additions 1813-14 and 1880. Rubble-
built, techniques varying at different periods, some ashlar
dressings. 5-storey tower (formerly SW tower of castle
complex) with stair turret at SE door at base of turret with roll-moulded architrave; some windows enlarged in 19th
century; corbelled angle bartizans unusually deepl
projecting at SW possibly with mutilated carved stone at
base of corbelling and reset in 19th century recasting;
gabletted crowsteps. coped apex stacks. Prior to 1813 tower
linked to 1, 2 and 3-storey ranges of which that part of the
S facing raised 2-storey range with the large 16th century
stack (to serve vaulted kitchens) survives. 1813-14 castle
adapted to use as court, possible lower part of block
attached to S gable of tower added and Gothic door added
opening onto terrace, parts of courtyard to N demolished.
Circa 1880 NS facing range and SW block raised and gabletted
dormers inserted; conical roofed stair turret on N face
possible added at this date; 3-storey E tower probably 1880s.
Interior: little of note remains; vaulted ground floor, some
16th/17th moulded doorpieces, vestiges of nook shafts,
possibly supporting earlier fireplace canopy; later 18th
Statement of Special Interest
Originally episcopal palace gifted by Bishop Robert Stewart
to John, 11th Earl of Sutherland in 1557. Dated 1814 with
arms Duchess/Countess of Sutherland. Used in 19th century
as jail, court house and school. By 1881 "refitted and
refurbished as quaint dwelling place for English sportsmen".
Became hotel in 1947.