Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

Dornoch Cathedral, excluding scheduled monument SM10828, Castle Street, DornochLB24632

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
18/03/1971
Last Date Amended
15/09/2017
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Burgh
Dornoch
NGR
NH 79720 89692
Coordinates
279720, 889692

Description

13th century, cruciform with central tower and spire, subsequently much rebuilt; complete restoration by William Burn, 1835-37.

In accordance with Section 1 (4A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 the following is excluded from the listing: scheduled monument SM10828

All rubble with ashlar dressings. Exterior; 4-bay nave (1835-37 on medieval plan incorporating early west gable and window); 3-bay choir and 2-bay transepts, all with lancet windows tripled in east and transept gables and linked by continuous string course; angle buttresses. West door recessed under pointed arch with nook shafts. Large intersecting medieval Y-tracery window above. Small porch, similarly detailed as at west, in south transept gable. Central tower supported on 13th century shafted piers with early 17th century corbelled parapet and embryo angle turrets; early 18th century broached, slated spire (restored 1835-37); evidence remains inside tower of corbelled vaulting, probably to support roof that pre-dated spire. The clustered columns of the crossing piers, of irregular height with embryo waterleaf capitals are an important example of transitional architecture in Scotland. The remains of decorative arcading between the transept and choir windows indicate an elaborate original treatment.

Interior: pilaster rib-vaulted choir and nave (1835-37) rubble walls revealing some incorporated medieval masonry lath and plaster of the Burn period removed in 1929). Choir lancets linked by continuous hoodmoulds east window 3 lancets with additional lancet in gable (inserted after original building, but not replaced by Burn, west window follows design of original but raised to allow for west door. Transepts raised, bases of crossing piers still visible choir raised further (Sutherland burial vault below) and approached by 4 steps; recumbant effigy of Richard de Moravia and various mural monuments including classical monument to 18th Earl and his wife on s side of choir unusually fine collection of 19th and 20th century stained glass, including windows in memory of Andrew Carnegie of Skibo (1835-1919) by Percy Bacon, and to Rosemary Millicent, Viscountess Edam, daughter of 4th Duke of Sutherland and her son by Morris and Co (1930) and to 4th Duke in east windows by Christopher Whall. Richly carved wooden Gothic octagonal pulpit, communion table and choir seating date from 1911.

Statement of Special Interest

Place of worship in use as such. Founded by St Gilbert Murray (de Moravia) in 1224. Damaged by fire in 1570. Chancel, transept and tower restored in 1616 by Sir Robert Gordon of Gordonstoun, Tutor of Sutherland (during minority of his nephew, the Earl). Spire commenced 1728, still unfinished 1732. Rebuilding of nave and complete restoration, 1835-37, financed by Countess Elizabeth Dowager Duchess of Sutherland. Further restoration, 1924, when 1835-37 interior mural plastering stripped. Large statue of first Duke of Sutherland by Sir Francis L. Chantry, which stood at west end of church, removed to Dunrobin in 1980.

In accordance with Section 1 (4A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 the following is excluded from the listing: scheduled monument SM10828.

Listed building record and statutory address updated in 2017. Previously listed as 'Castle Street Dornoch Cathedral and Walled Grave Yard. (Cathedral of St. Mary and St Gilbert. Church of Scotland Parish Church).'

References

Bibliography

Canmore: http://canmore.org.uk/ CANMORE ID 14637

Bentinck, Rev C. (1926) Dornoch Cathedral and Parish. Inverness: Northern Counties Newspaper and Printing and Publishing Company Limited. p.377.

Imperial Gazetteer Of Scotland (circa 1858) p.362.

MacGibbon, D. and Ross, T. (1897) Ecclesiastical Architecture Of Scotland. Edinburgh: D.Douglas. Vol 2, p.3.

MacGibbon, D. and Ross, T.(1887) Castellated And Domestic Architecture Of Scotland. Edinburgh: D. Douglas. Vol 2. p.336.

Murray, D. (1981) Dornoch Cathedral

Ordnance Survey ( Surveyed 1874, Published 1879) Sutherland Sheet CXIII.6. 25 Inches to the Mile Map. 1st Edition. London: Ordnance Survey.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to Dornoch Cathedral, excluding scheduled monument SM10828, Castle Street, Dornoch

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/11/2018 07:20