Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NH 54724 60311
254724, 860311


16th century square tower with later alterations and extensions

varying from 17th to early 20th century to north and east.

Extensions, restoration and improvements, A Maitland and Sons,

1891; further alterations, Sir Robert Lorimer, 1920-22.

Harled tower, rubble eslewhere, ashlar dressings throughout.

Tower at SW with heavy boulder footings, chamfered SW angle to

1st floor, gun loops, later Venetian window in 1st floor,

west elevation. 2 enlarged and symmetrical windows each floor

in south tower elevation; original small windows in drum stair

tower at NW; later corbelled and crenellated parapets to tower

and stair tower. 1891 3-storey, 3-bay wing extends east flush

with tower (with earlier extension forming core) with large

2-storey canted bay window; raised from 2 to 3 storeys by Sir

Robert Lorimer, the 3 upper windows rising through wallhead in

ornately carved pedimented gables, the centre dated 1920;

similarly carved head in east crowstepped gable-head. Wing

extends 3 storeys, 5 bays at east elevation with 5 pedimented

gabled dormers rising through wallhead similarly detailed as

in south front. Venetian window in SE gable. Square projecting

heavy corbelled and parapetted porch masking corniced and

moulded lugged architraved doorpiece with heavily panelled

and studded Lorimer door. Large round headed, hoodmoulded and crenellated archway leads to service wings at rear. Multi and

2-pane glazing; corniced ridge and end stacks; crowsteps; slate


Interior: vaulted basement; remodelled 1st floor hall with

original great fireplace; ornamental plaster ceiling (1920-22).

Later 19th century pine panelling and wide balustraded stair

case. Arched tunnel entrance; segmental headed tunnel entrance

carrying path linking east and west parts of garden.

Statement of Special Interest

Tulloch was a barony of the Bains until 1760, when it passed

to the Davidsons. Now used by Highland Region Education






INVERNESS COURIER March 3, 1891. Advertisement for tenders.

N Tranter THE FORTIFIED HOUSE IN SCOTLAND vi, (1970) pp165-6.


pp129, 177. Ian R M Mowat, EASTER ROSS 1750-1850, THE DOUBLE

FRONTIER (1981) p90 1st (1870) 2nd (1906) editions OS.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to TULLOCH CASTLE AND ARCHED TUNNEL ENTRANCE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 02/12/2023 17:23