Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

TULLOCH STREET, ST CLEMENTS CHURCH (C OF S PARISH CHURCH), GATEPIERS AND BURIAL GROUNDLB24516

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
25/03/1971
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Burgh
Dingwall
NGR
NH 54934 58961
Coordinates
254934, 858961

Description

George Burn, Haddington, 1799-1803. Rectangular with octagonal

tower and spire; pinned coursed rubble, tooled ashlar dressings.

North elevation: 2-storey, 3-bay with projecting, pedimented

wide centre bay with pointed-headed entrance and similarly

detailed side lights, linked by continuous hoodmould. 2

pointed-headed windows above flank round-arched opening with

2 pointed-headed lights and quatrefoil in spandrel, similarly

glazed windows in outer bays to ground and gallery, former

with pointed heads, later with round. Intersecting Gothic

tracery in heads. Octagonal belfry on square base above

pediment with round-arched keystoned panels, alternately

blind and louvred, linked by cill band and string course at

springing level. Octagon crowned by tall, broached, slender

octagonal ashlar spire with blind oval oculi and terminating

with weather vane.

South elevation: 4 long pointed-headed windows with late

19th century tracery and glazing linked by continuous

hoodmould; square projecting harled Minister's porch in centre

with moulded string course and round-headed windows.

Side elevations: 3 gallery and 2 ground floor windows, some

blind, all with square heads and later 19th century tracery

and glazing. Piended slate roof.

Interior: 5-sided panelled gallery; large, later 19th century rectangular pulpit with finialled and pendanted sounding board.

Gate piers and burial ground walls; W C Joass, 1875-76. Square

ashlar gate piers with corniced copes and stepped caps with

ball finials; linking wrought-iron overthrow and lamp bracket;

pair simple cast-iron gates with spear head detailing. Rubble

walls with dressed cope. Various 17th, 18th and 19th century

tomb stones, some in burial enclosures re-using walling from

previous church.

Statement of Special Interest

Building in ecclesiastical use as such. Built on site of

earlier church. Symbol stone in burial ground is Scheduled

Monument. Milne Bell 1754.

References

Bibliography

THE STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, ii, p11. NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, xiv,

p230. George Hay, THE ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTTISH POST-REFORMATION

CHURCHES (1957), pp118, 272.

INVERNESS COURIER April 6, 1854, Dec 16, 1875, Jan 6, 1876,

Aug 23, 1877. Advertisements for tenders. DINGWALL PRESBYTERY

MINUTES, Dec 19, 1799.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to TULLOCH STREET, ST CLEMENTS CHURCH (C OF S PARISH CHURCH), GATEPIERS AND BURIAL GROUND

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 24/06/2019 11:49