Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

HIGH STREET, TOWN HALLLB24506

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
25/03/1971
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Burgh
Dingwall
NGR
NH 54954 58772
Coordinates
254954, 858772

Description

Dated 1730 and 1905. Core and tower, 1730, cupola, John

Boag, 1774, remodelled, W C Joass, 1902-5. Central rubble

built tower in 2 stages, upper slightly stepped back.

Entrance in centre with altered columned portico supporting

heavy stone 1st floor balcony with carved panels. Window

(formerly door at head of steps) opening onto balcony altered

1905. Tower with 1 small margined window with iron yett in

each south facing storey; balustrade (1905) and tall timber

octagonal cupola (1774) with pilastered tower stage, clock

faces in alternate facets with louvres above, ogee lead roof

with diminutive lead cupola and weather vane. 2-storey,

2-bay wings re-built 1905 with bipartite in each bay and

crowstepped dormer-heads. Return crow-stepped gable to Church

Street with re-set 1730 date stone in gable head. Slate roofs.

Statement of Special Interest

Former yett stands beside centre entrance.

John Boag, architect. Donald Morrison, square wright and

Donald McNeil, mason visited Forres, Moray in 1773 to view

tolbooth steeple then and subsequently prepared model "as a

plan for the same kind in this burgh (Town Council minutes,

Feb 1773).

References

Bibliography

THE STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, ii, (1792) p17.

INVERNESS COURIER Sept 23, 1902. Norman Macrae, ROMANCE OF A

ROYAL BURGH (1923) pp214, 231.

MacGibbon and Ross CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE OF

SCOTLAND, v, (1892) pp102-3.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to HIGH STREET, TOWN HALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/05/2024 22:58