Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

CROFT STREET, KING'S PARK PRIMARY SCHOOLLB24341

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
30/06/1983
Local Authority
Midlothian
Planning Authority
Midlothian
Burgh
Dalkeith
NGR
NT 33147 66995
Coordinates
333147, 666995

Description

Thomas T Paterson, 1903. 2-storey, 15-bay (3-3-1-1-1-3-3) symmetrical school range with Queen Anne detailing. Cream sandstone rock-faced ashlar; red ashlar dressings. Coped base course. Red rock-faced cill and lintel courses, and coping. Eaves cornice. Chamfered reveals. Gibbsian quoins. Sombe bipartite windows, transomed at 1st floor. Some shaped gableheads and dormerheads.

S KING'S PARK, PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: centre bay slightly advanced and gabled; bipartite window at ground and breaking eaves at 1st floor; Gibbsian details and cornice above 1st floor window; gablehead with needle finial and urns to skewblocks. Flanking bays recessed; centre bays of penultimate trios each with transomed window breaking eaves and dormerhead. Piended outer bays advanced; bipartite window to ground and 1st floor of gabled centre bay; keystone detail and cornice above 1st floor bipartite; gablehead with urn finials and ball finials to skewblocks. Regularly disposed fenestration, ground floor windows taller.

W ELEVATION: single storey 3-bay porch to left with cornice and blocking course: Gibbsian doorpiece with smooth quoins to left; 2-leaf panelled door; blocking course raised over panel above, previously inscribed "Girls" (now largely erased); remaining bays fenestrated. Bipartite window to left at 1st floor with small window flanking to right.

E ELEVATION: single storey, single bay porch to right, detailed as above, with stone balustraded steps; panel previously inscribed "Boys". Bipartite window to right on 1st floor with small window flanking to left. Blocked small window to left of porch.

N ELEVATION: lean-to block advanced between outer bays; modern single storey brick and pebble-dashed additions to blank pebble-dashed re-entrant angles. 2 doors at left and right of advanced block. Irregularly sized and disposed fenestration, including 2 mullioned and transomed stair windows to left and right of centre. Single storey kitchen and dining ranges adjoined to main building by passage at centre; gabled range with tripartite window to E; smaller piend-roofed range adjoined to N with piended bipartite window to E, and gabled facade to N.

Variety of small-pane glazing patterns in largely sash and case windows. Colonnaded timber cupola, with finial, set on deep lead-hung plinth with bracket details in centre at ridge. 2 leaded ventilator shafts at ridge in 3rd bays from centre. Corniced shouldered wallhead stack at centre and above eaves line on W pitch, painted bell with cast-iron fixture attached to base: 2 corniced wallhead stacks on lean-to pitch. Ventilator shaft at NE re-entrant angle. Cupola-like ventilators to roofs of additional ranges. Grey-green slates to piended roofs. Red ridge tiles with scrolled finials. Some original rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: double-pile. 2 half-turn staircases with landings and iron balustrades to N side. Segmental-arched openings on N side of corridors. Cornice and dado rail to corridors. Classrooms to S: glass panelled doors; 9-pane top-hopper windows on to corridor; timber boarded dadoes. Original bell in W stair well.

Low semicircular coped rubble retaining wall and later railings to S. 4 corniced red sandstone gatepiers, iron gates and railings, and semicircular coped rubble wall to N (Croft Street).

2-storey harled block to W (William Scott, 1925).

Statement of Special Interest

The Queen Anne style employed in this design echoes that of the earlier School Board designs by E T Robson in England, and its simultaneous use by J A Carfrae.

References

Bibliography

ACADEMY ARCHITECTURE, 1902, Vol I, pp68-69. THE DALKEITH ADVERTISER 23 December 1926. C McWilliam LOTHIAN (1980) p164.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CROFT STREET, KING'S PARK PRIMARY SCHOOL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 12/08/2022 03:32