Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

45 BUCCLEUCH STREET, BLACK BULLLB24335

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
30/06/1983
Local Authority
Midlothian
Planning Authority
Midlothian
Burgh
Dalkeith
NGR
NT 33217 67104
Coordinates
333217, 667104

Description

Charles Henry Greig, 1905-06. 2-storey, L-plan corner building in Arts and Crafts style; 3 bays and single storey wing to Buccleuch Street, bay to left and 3-storey, 2-bay gable to right to Lothian Street. Harled; painted dressings. Deep base courser to cill level. Raised cills. Half-timbering detail in jetted gableheads. Semicircular-arched windows, timber mullioned and transomed.

CHAMFERED CORNER: gabled bay with broad semicircular-arched tripartite door. Bowed oriel window at 1st floor, supported on Tuscan columns, providing porch at ground; cornice and corniced fascia band encircles base. Bracketted gablehead.

S (BUCCLEUCH STREET) ELEVATION: semicircular-arched doorway at centre, with bracketted semicircular canopy and fanlit door. Broad semicircular-arched window at ground in bays to left and right. Regularly disposed fenestration at 1st floor, surmounted by gabled dormerheads, narrower window and smaller gable at centre. Later single bay wing to left with semicircular-arched window and gablehead.

E (LOTHIAN STREET) ELEVATION: semicricular arch with central blank panel and flanking Inglenook lights at ground in bay to left; 2 keystoned oculi at 1st floor, 3-storey, 2-bay gabled elevation to right: corbelled chimneybreast at centre, rising from corbelled panel at 1st floor; panelled door with 3-pane fanlight and flanking window to left in bay to right; window and flanking fanlight 2-leaf panelled door to left of bay to left; regularly disposed fenestration at 1st and 2nd floors. Continuous single storey harled wall, from former neighbouring building to right.

W ELEVATION: single storey wing adjoined at ground; semicircular-arched window to gabled W elevation. Window at ground and 1st floor to left.

2 advanced stacks above wing.

N ELEVATION: gabled and blank with remains of former neighbouring building attached.

N and W rear re-entrant elevations fenestrated; later addition to NW corner supported on cast-iron columns.

Variety of small-pane and plate glass glazing patterns in casement and top-hopper windows. Coloured glass details in 2 windows flanking corner bay at ground. Overhanging eaves; roof swept down between gableheads. Wallhead stack to left, gablehead stack to right to E. Red tiles Scroll details to apex tiles.

Statement of Special Interest

The Black Bull Inn was constructed by Dalkeith Public House and Improvement Company. Inspired by the Swedish Gothenburg movement, the Company was formed in 1904 to run a public house business, with profits being used to improve the amenity of Dalkeith and the welfare of its people, whilst preventing intemperance. The Black Bull took its name from an earlier public house in Lothian Street, marked on the OS Map 1852-53. The Company erected a block of working class dwellings at the same time, also designed by Greig, adjacent to the Black Bull in Lothian Street; known as the Gothenburg Buildings, they were demolished in 1966. The Company ceased business in the 1920s.

References

Bibliography

OS Map 1905-06. THE DALKEITH ADVERTISER 1905-06. C McWilliam LOTHIAN 1980) p164. OLD DALKEITH No 2 (1985) pp9-10. A Anderson THE DEAN TAVERN, A GOTHENBURG EXPERIMENT (1986) p151.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 45 BUCCLEUCH STREET, BLACK BULL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/09/2022 09:27