Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

OLD PARISH CHURCH AND WALLED BURIAL GROUND, INCLUDING RUSSELL BURIAL ENCLOSURELB2330

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
25/04/1989
Local Authority
Moray
Planning Authority
Moray
Parish
Alves
NGR
NJ 13484 62964
Coordinates
313484, 862964

Description

Dated 1769. Long narrow rectangular church with

distinctive narrow 8-bay fenestration in S elevation.

Harled, ashlar margins and dressings. Round-headed

entrance in E gable with re-set aediculed and pedimented

mural monument dated 1677 and 1722 to right. 7 narrow,

round-headed long windows light S elevation, shorter and

wider in bays 3 and 5: similar styled doorway in outer

SW bay with blind narrow round-headed light above.

Similar single gallery window in E and W gables.

Multi-pane glazing in poor condition; some shutter

hooks survive. Birdcage bellcote at E gable apex with

slightly concave cap topped by ball finial and dated

1769; slate roof.

INTERIOR: empty, all furnishings removed.

BURIAL GROUND: irregular shaped burial ground surrounds

church, extended at E. Various 18th century and

subsequent tombstones.

In SW corner the Russell burial enclosure dated 1725;

squared and rusticated ashlar with balustraded wallhead

and moulded lugged doorpiece. 2 entrances to burial

ground, each with simple square gate piers, that at E

end of ground of late 19th century date.

Statement of Special Interest

Church no longer in ecclesiastical use.

Mural monument flanking E entrance has worn latin

inscription and initialled BI and IF for Beroald Innes

of Inchstelly and Margaret Falconer his wife. The

memorial was situated in the choir of the pre-1769

church.

Russell enclosure has initials JR and ES with date 1725

carved each side of entrance and plaque inscribed 'This

Buriall place was erected by James Russell Chamberlaine

to the Earl of Moray at Earles-Mill for himself his

Spouse Elizabeth Spence and their children. The said

James Russell died the 11 Jany. 1735 year and his

forsaid spouse died the 25 Sept 1737 year'.

References

Bibliography

THE STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (1793, Witherington and Grant

ed. vol xvi, 1982), p.458. William Gramond, THE CHURCH

OF ALVES (1900), p.119. George Hay, THE ARCHITECTURE OF

SCOTTISH POST-REFORMATION CHURCHES 1560-1843 (1957),

pp.75, 79, 169, 266. Plans (1900-8) in Elgin Library,

DAW P49.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to OLD PARISH CHURCH AND WALLED BURIAL GROUND, INCLUDING RUSSELL BURIAL ENCLOSURE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/06/2019 08:36