TOWER: Possibly William Robertson, Elgin, dated 5th
January, 1827. Gothic, 3-storey octagonal folly on
hilltop site. Harl pointed rubble, tooled and polished
ashlar dressings. Pointed-headed, hoodmoulded entrance
in E face with worn masked stops to hoodmould and single
order of nailhead decoration to moulded recessed
doorway. Dated plaque above entrance which is flanked
by blind cruciform arrow slits; similar slits to
alternate faces in ground and 1st floors with long
'keyhole' slits in upper storey; round-headed windows in
alternate faces in 1st floor and 2nd floors, in 2nd with
mask decoration to cill corbels; pulvinated string
course delineates each storey. Corbelled and crenellated
wallhead with small stack masked by crenellation; flat roof
with centre flagstaff.
INTERIOR: rubble walled interior with access too each
floor by crude wooden staircase; small mural fireplace
in upper room.
MAUSOLEUM: probably Thomas Mackenzie, architect, circa
1850. Subterranean vault, revealed only at N by tooled
rubble wall with block pedimented walled-up entrance,
under square railed enclosure. Rectangular tomb in
centre of enclosure on stepped base under shallow
pyramidal shaped top with angle acroteria decorated with
carved thistles. Inscribed polished granite tablets (3
each side and single tablet each end) set into side of
tomb. Cast-iron spearhead railings.
Statement of Special Interest
Plaque above entrance inscribed 'York Tower, 5th Jany.
1827'. Erected by Alexander Forteath of Newton to
commemorate Frederick Augustus, Duke of York, born 16
August 1783, died 5 January 1827. It stands on a
commanding hilltop site, also site of a prehistoric
Alexander Forteath (born Williamson but changed his name
on inheritance) inherited Newton from his uncle, George
Forteath, who died in 1815 and whose name, with 7 other
other members of the family including Alexander, are
named on sarcophagus.
William Robertson known to have worked extensively for