Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

MAIN STREET, AIRDRIE SAVINGS BANKLB23018

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
19/04/1993
Local Authority
North Lanarkshire
Planning Authority
North Lanarkshire
Burgh
Coatbridge
NGR
NS 73101 65121
Coordinates
273101, 665121

Description

James Davidson and Son, dated 1920. 3-storey, classical style bank building on corner site. Red ashlar sandstone, rusticated at ground floor, concealed slate roof. Polished granite base course, corniced fascia panel over ground floor, composite-capitalled pilastrade to 1st and 2nd floors, dentilled cornice with balustraded parapet and inscribed panels. Keystoned round-headed windows with moulded large-pane frames to ground floor, architraved and pedimented windows to 1st floor, 4-pane sash and case frames to 1st and 2nd floors; canted architraved window to angle at upper floors. Finialled elongated dome at angle, corniced stacks.

MAIN STREET ELEVATION: door with fanlight to angle at left with granite-columned doorpiece, 2 windows at centre, door with fanlight to right; 3 windows to 1st and 2nd floor, canted window to angle at left.

SUNNYSIDE ROAD ELEVATION: 2 windows to ground, 1st and 2nd floors. INTERIOR: not seen.

Statement of Special Interest

The building contractors were Louden and Inglis. The inscribed parapet panel at the Main Street elevation reads 'Airdrie Savings Bank Instituted 1835'; that at Sunnyside Road 'Coatbridge Office erected 1920'.

References

Bibliography

COATBRIDGE EXPRESS, 7 September 1921; Allan Peden, THE MONKLANDS, AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE (1992), p41 information ex Monklands District Council.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MAIN STREET, AIRDRIE SAVINGS BANK

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/07/2019 15:09